Strive for Perfection


Things are going at a brisk pace. The New Year is more than half over!

While I am not posting at my normal pace, I am still writing.

Bigger pieces that I post, like “I’m a Unicorn”, “Me Too”, “License to Hate”, “Do No Harm”, all take time. They take time to research properly, to craft the words to precisely what I want to say. 

Artists paint with colors, writers paint with words. Every word I write is integral to the piece.

Much like a song on the radio-every lyric, every melodic line, every note is there for a purpose. It’s there for a reason.

Every scene in a movie, every line of dialogue, every camera shot, is there because the director wants it there to convey the story.

When all parts combine to make something beautiful, be it a piece of music, a painting, a poem, a movie, a home cooked meal, a book, it’s perfection.


I am working on several pieces for this blog, to be featured in the coming months. They too are lengthier projects that 
I have been working on for several months now.

I am also working on my latest book, entitled: “The Dream State.” This is my 6th published book, the 4th poetic collection published in English.





I received an advanced copy of this book a couple of weeks ago. It’s wonderful to have the book in hand, to see a dream come to fruition, to see first draft of the piece, to envision the final product.

Upon receiving the book galley, the real work began. I worked on the cover, spacing, fonts, headers, footers, page numbers, photography, everything that makes a book a book.

It’s a daunting task. It takes time and dedication. However, it’s an incredibly worthwhile effort.

In my expectation of perfection, I think back to commercials I saw on television when I was young. I remember certain wine commercials with Hollywood legend Orson Welles. In each commercial there was one key phrase that still resonates in my mind:

“We will sell no wine before its time.”



That is how I feel about my writing. I will not post anything on this blog until it is perfect. I will not publish one of my books until everything is perfect.


While an expectation of perfection is both demanding and daunting, and perhaps an impossible ask, it is just that-an expectation. It’s something to aspire to, to work towards.

It doesn’t mean it will happen. I do not always achieve perfection. I cannot be perfect.

Yet, the strive for perfection can be a positive, influential force. Everything that we create has the potential to be perfect.


In the days to come I will continue to work on the book; there are only a few errors still to fix. I will have it published soon. I will be sure to post when the book is ready for purchase.

As I continue to work on my writing projects for the remainder of the year, and for the rest of my writing career, I will continue the strive for perfection.


“Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time.”
-Voltaire

“Life is an aspiration. Its mission is to strive after perfection, which is self-realization.”
-Mahatma Gandhi

“Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn’t exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.”
-Henry Royce




Comments