The Gift of Breath

Breathing is something that comes naturally to the body. Part of our autonomic system, our bodies breathe for us without our even thinking about it. Breathing brings oxygen into our bodies, which helps us digest our food and expel toxins.

We breathe to center ourselves, to bring about calmness, to concentrate, to relax. Breath decreases anxiety, worry, stress, tension, unrest.

In yoga the practice of breathing, called pranayama, is the foundation upon which all other exercises are laid. In meditation breathing is used as a tool to open the unconscious mind.

The act of breathing is found in many medical treatments for people who have Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, and military personnel who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (or PTSD.)

The breath is our link to the divine. It centers our souls with our bodies.

As is the body, so is the breath. If the body is calm, the breath is calm. If the body is anxious, the breath is anxious. If there is no breath, the body cannot function.


I have been ill for two weeks now. Thankfully, this virus is not anything serious. However, I have had many respiratory issues, which has made it hard for me to breathe.

The ability to breathe easily and deeply is something that I can say that I have taken for granted. The breath is our lifeline. When you cannot breathe, you will do anything you can to breathe again.

A day or two into this illness, my cats noticed my breathing pattern had changed. I was making a wheezing sound every time 
I took a breath in. Both of my cats came to me when I was breathing in that manner. They instinctively knew that my breathing was not normal, and came to check on me.

Now that I am nearing the end of this illness, I am feeling much better. Yet, I am still having respiratory problems. Many nights in the past two weeks I awoke in a panic, unable to breathe. I could not go back to sleep again until I was able to breathe again. Some nights it took me over an hour to be able to breathe again.

Now that this virus is leaving my body, I am thankful and grateful for the gift of breath.

If there is breath in your lungs, if you can breathe, be thankful. Be thankful for breath. Let it fill you up. 
Never take it for granted.

Comments