The Creation of Art

I am currently working on the finishing touches, the last few details, on my first book of poetry. The book is called “I am Hope”, a collection of my first poems, many of which never made it to either of my blogs. I am in the last stages of getting the book ready for publication. After “I am Hope” is published, I will publish a book of the same poetry in Spanish. My second book, “the Bigger Picture”, will be the next to be released. It too will have a Spanish version. The books will be available in print and in electronic versions.

When I set out to create my own publishing company, I originally thought that I would publish all of my books of poetry at the same time. To have two books come out in English and in Spanish-in both print and electronic versions-at the same time would have been a monumental effort. It is stressful enough publishing one book! Now that I know all that goes into the making of a book, I will never look at a book the same way again.

There are so many things to check, double check, make sure that everything is exactly as you want it. If you change one thing, it invariably changes another thing, and then another, and so on. This rippling effect is hard to avoid and hard to control. Once you feel you have everything organized and in check, things spiral out of control. It feels as hopeless as trying to herd a bunch of cats.

Now that I am working on the finishing touches on the book, I feel that I have everything in check, and that publication is imminent. Watch this space.

It is said that the creation of art, creating something from nothing, is much like the birthing process. The process takes time, and cannot be rushed. The art will be created when it is meant to be.
The next time you see a painting, a sculpture, watch a movie, hear a symphony, read a book, I urge you to pause for just a moment. Take time to examine that piece of art.  Try to imagine everything it took to bring that creation of art to reality. 
The following is a song called “Putting It Together” by Stephen Sondheim. The song talks about everything that goes into creating a work of art. (Below the video are some of the lyrics of the song.) The song is technically complex, and perfectly demonstrates the many complexities to creating a work of art. Have a listen, and a think.


“Bit by bit, putting it together
Piece by piece, only way to make a work of art
Every moment makes a contribution
Every little detail plays a part
Having just a vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution
Putting it together, that's what counts!

Ounce by ounce, putting in together
Small amounts, adding up to make a work of art
First of all you need a good foundation
Otherwise it's risky from the start
Takes a little cocktail conversation
But without the proper preparation
Having just a vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution

The art of making art
Is putting it together, bit by bit…

…Art isn't easy,
Every minor detail is a major decision
Have to keep things in scale
Have to hold to your vision

…And that is the state of the art.”
-Stephen Sondheim

Comments