Robin

Monday evening I heard the news. I could not believe my eyes. My mind was a flurry of activity. I remember reading the words, “Rest in peace.” I then remember thinking: Rest in peace? What? What are they talking about? Robin Williams? THE Robin Williams? Wait, what?!?!?” I then did a search on the internet and read the news. There, on the screen, 
I read the words: Robin Williams Dead at 63.

Over the minutes and hours my shock upon learning of his death turned to astonishment and then to grief. When I found out that Robin’s passing away was by his own hand, it made the news of his passing much more tragic.

I read a news release by Robin’s widow, Susan Schneider….
"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin's family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin's death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions."



I met Robin Williams as most of the world did of my generation, on television, seeing Robin as an alien in “Mork and Mindy”, in which he starred with Pam Dawber. I remember watching that show as a child. I was 6 years old when it was on television. I looked forward to it every week. 

What I did not know at the time, and I wager many others did not know, was that Robin Williams had been in the entertainment business for a long time. He used to perform in the streets, doing comedy, and performing as a mime.

unknown male mime left, Robin Williams on the right

Robin had also been a student of the Julliard School, an elite academy for the arts. Only two students were chosen for entry into Julliard School the year that Robin was accepted-Christopher Reeve was the other. The two were lifelong friends from then on. In 1995 when Chris Reeve was in an equestrian accident and rushed via helicopter to the hospital, before he went into surgery, a doctor entered the room, speaking in a thick Russian accent. It was Robin. He was there to watch over his friend, to make him laugh. Chris later said, "I knew then: if I could laugh, I could live."

Robin Williams went on from “Mork and Mindy” to have a thirty-four year long career in the movies, beginning with “Popeye.” Many people have gone on social media since his passing and listed their favorites of his performances, mentioning such movies as “Flubber”, “Aladdin”, “Mrs. Doubtfire”, "Jumanji", “The Butler”, “August Rush.”

However, I have my own favorites as well. I love his performance in “Patch Adams”, as the doctor who tried to heal the whole person through humor as well as medicine. In “Hook” he played middle-aged Peter Banning, also known as Peter Pan. In “Bicentennial Man”  as Andrew, the robot servant in a futuristic world who strove to understand humanity. “Nine Months” in which he played a woefully unqualified Russian obstetrician. "Tale of The Frog Prince", a "Faerie Tale Theater" Production starring Terri Garr as the Princess and Robin as the Frog Prince, “The Birdcage” in which he played a nightclub owner trying to do the best for his family. I have a special place in my heart for “Dead Poets Society” in which he plays Mr. Keating, a teacher who inspires the young men in his class to express themselves through poetry.

But some of my favorite performances of Robin’s were never in a movie. His antics and improvisations in interviews became instant classics. Take for example this clip with the help of a pashmina scarf…


The night I heard the news, I thought about his performances on Saturday Night Live, and interviews on popular TV shows…


I also thought about the music video “Don’t Worry Be Happy” by Bobby McFerrin, which starred McFerrin, Robin Williams and the legendary Bill Irwin….


After hearing of Robin’s death I learned about his philanthropic endeavors. He was active in St. Jude Children’s hospital…

As well as Comic Relief, in which he worked with Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg to fight homelessness...


I then learned that Robin was active in performing for America military members stationed overseas…

I also learned that Robin was active in the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation….


Social media has been ablaze since Robin’s passing. The world is expressing its grief while sending thoughts and prayers to Robin’s family. Everyone is devastated by his loss. Even Koko the gorilla….

I have read many comments for Robin in the last two days, many thoughts and prayers for his family. I also read comments from actors, saying "You are the reason I went in to acting." That is indeed a high compliment from one artist to another. It is clear that Robin's loss is uniquely profound, as was his boundless energy and talent.

A great light in our world has gone out. It is easy to feel that the world is a darker place now. In watching Robin, he was a gifted human being and artist. His only limit was his imagination. His razor sharp wit and gifts at improvisation were as natural to him as breathing. 

I never met Robin but I followed his career from afar and marveled at his talent. I am thankful I was born in his time and got to witness his pure magic. I am thankful his performances will live on to entertain and inspire future generations.

The day after I heard the news of Robin's death I did not want to get out of bed. I did not want to leave my house. I did not want to contribute to society in any way. I wanted the world to spin without me for a day. As much as I wanted to stay inside and mourn, I did not. I got up out of bed, left my house and went to work. I was productive that day. That is the cruel thing about life-the powerful play goes on. 

Thank you Robin for your contributions, for your verse. The world will never be the same without you. 

We mourn the loss of our friend Robin Williams, who always made us laugh and smile. -Sesame Street


“It is unimaginable that this is the reality today. That this incredible human being, 
incredible, delicate, funny, dramatic human being is gone....
.....I’m speechless that this great, great artist is no longer on the Earth.”
-Henry Winkler

“It’s hard to imagine unstoppable energy stopped. He was such a generous soul.”
-Meryl Streep


















Comments

  1. I like it. I feel the loss. It´s a smile that it will be present in our minds. Thanks Esperanza.
    J.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment