The Narrative Mosaic

They say that the theater is a temple of dreams. A library is a similar temple-a temple of stories. Now that I am in the midst of publishing my own book, I stand and marvel at the books in a library.

To publish a novel, a book of poetry, anything yourself, is a daunting task. It gives me immense admiration and respect for authors and self-publishers. I will never look at a book the same way twice.


It is the plight of the writer to have endless thoughts in your head. Thoughts about what you have already written, thoughts about what you will write about.

My thoughts drift back to the novel I am writing. I have not written anything in the novel in six months. I have been so preoccupied with publishing my first book of poetry, “I am Hope” that I have put the novel aside. (In regards to “I am Hope”, the e-book can be purchased here: 
The printed version will be out shortly. I have completed the last hurdle before publication. It will not be long now.)

 I think back to my lead characters, Danny and Samantha, and all the other characters in the novel. Their lives are on pause for now, until I can get back to them. I think about where they were in their stories when I left them, where they will go in their journey.

A work of fiction is a narrative mosaic: each character has their own story, their own journey, pieces of a larger puzzle which come together to make a whole. It is a daunting task. Yet, when the pieces come together, the end result is thing of beauty.
Mosaic by Kasia Polkowska 

I needed a break from it. I was too close to it. I had to step back, see the whole picture before knowing how to fit the tiny pieces together. I had to have time apart from the story to think about how I want to write it.

The work I began is not yet finished. As a writer friend of mine told me:
 “It does not matter when you finish your novel. Finish it.”

I feel drawn back to the novel, back to the characters. They are calling me back to the page. Their story is in the midst of being told. I must go back and finish building the mosaic.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved


Comments