Fashion and Function

Hello everyone, I hope you have been well. I thought I would try a new topic on this blog, which I will contribute to periodically, in addition to my other musings here. I thought I would write about myself, share things not a lot of people know about me. Today’s writing is called “Fashion and Function.”

Not many people know this about me; however, some friends and family members will know what I am about to share. 
I am a collector of things. I collect movies on DVD and Blu Ray. I collect music, in CD and digital formats. I collect books. 
I also collect watches.

Wristwatches, as they are properly known, have always served as a fascination for me. I see a watch not only as a time piece but as a fashion piece, a method self-expression, a reflection of the person wearing the watch. That is certainly the fashion statement I prefer. I will never be wearing particularly fashionable shoes. But you can bet I will be wearing a beautiful watch.
.

I find many things appealing about a watch: the dial, the band, the design of the hands on the face of the watch, the style of numbers, etc.



I always notice watches on other people. If I like a watch, I tell the person wearing it. It is always nice to receive a compliment.

A friend asked me the other night, “How many watches do you have?” I answered with a question, “How many do I have, or how many do I wear?” The friend then again asked her question. My answer: I currently have 11 watches. I have three watches I never wear-two are collector’s items watches, and one is a pocket watch that belonged to my late grandfather. The other 8 are watches I have available to wear on a daily basis. So you could say I have a watch to wear every day of the week.

One thing I have found in searching for watches is that the color of the face of the watch, also known as the dial, rarely matches the color of the band. For example, it is rare to get a gold tone watch with a gold tone dial. As I built my current collection, I looked for watches that had matching dials and bands. I was lucky to find 6 such watches. They are distinct and unique and unlike many watches on the market. I have one gold tone watch, one silver tone, and one rose gold tone. I then have 3 color watches: one fuchsia pink, one a deep indigo purple, and of course, a claret red. All of the watch dials match the bands. Whatever outfit I choose to wear, I have a watch to match.

While I love watches, I do not spend a lot of money on them; I normally spend $20-$30 on a watch. However, I recently splurged and bought a luxury timepiece watch. I would not normally have bought it because the price was exorbitant. However, it was being sold for a fraction of its price. I bought it as a gift for myself as a remembrance of my publishing my first book. It was an investment, and it is a watch I will take great care of.

I do not know what it is about watches that appeals to me. Perhaps it is not about the watch. Perhaps it is about time itself.  We waste time. We buy time. We bide our time. We pass time. We kill time. We save time. They say “Time is on my side.” “Time is our best friend.” “Take your time.” "Time flies." "Time passes." "Time waits for no one."
.
Perhaps one of the best metaphors for a watch, or the movement of the watch itself, is compared to life. The ticking of the watch mimics a heartbeat. Perhaps there is a point of synergy, having a timepiece that mimics the heartbeat worn on the wrist, which is a pulse point where our heartbeat can be found. Maybe the watch reminds us of our own beating hearts. Maybe a watch should be tended and cared for, just as we should take care of ourselves.

Maybe I am over thinking this. Maybe I just like wearing pretty things on my wrist. Maybe I just want to be fashionable. Maybe I just want to know what time it is.

Whatever the reason, I collect watches; unique, distinct watches that serve a dual purpose of fashion and function. 


© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

Comments