A Part of History

Saturday September 24, 2016 was the annual 100 Thousand Poets for Change event. This is the first time in my career as a writer that I did not participate in the event. By the time I found out the date of the event, it was too late for me to prepare anything for the event. As it happened, I already had plans for that day, plans that were years in the making. I was going to be a part of history.

Three years ago I participated in a year of giving, making monetary contributions to different charities and cultural organizations for every month of the year. One of the contributions I made that year was to the National Museum of African American History and Culture.
.

At that point in time, the museum was beginning to tell their story, which was one hundred years in the making. Veterans of the Civil War began a movement to build this museum beginning in 1915. 

Once I learned of the museum, I saw that they were soliciting monetary donations to get it built. I knew immediately that it was a project I had to support. I knew that this museum would be an important landmark on the national landscape, and that it would tell a story not yet told on a national level. I made a monetary contribution and became a charter member of the museum. I then began to follow the museum on social media. I read how museum officials were obtaining artifacts for the museum, and saw videos showcasing the construction of the building.

Finally, the news came that the opening of the museum would be in October of 2016. However, some months later, the opening date was be moved up a month, to take place on Saturday, September 24th.

Shortly after the opening date was announced, charter members of the museum received an e-mail informing us that entry into the museum would require a timed pass. The passes would be given out online, free of charge, and were going to be made available at a certain date and time. I made sure to note the date and time the passes would be given out. Charter members could request up to 6 timed passes.

The morning the timed passes were made available, I went online to register for them. As I filled out the registration information online, the passes were disappearing. I was able to get tickets for 3:45pm on Saturday September 24, the opening day. I was able to get six passes, which would enable my family and I to attend. It was reported that 250,000 tickets were made available to charter members. The entire allotment of timed passes was sold out in less than an hour.

A few days before the opening, I flew to the East Coast. My flight was pre-dawn, which made for an ungodly early morning. The plane was half full of passengers at most. I had never taken that early a flight before. I have to admit, 
I enjoyed it. In flight, the lights were off in the plane, and most of the screens covering the windows were shut. It gave the plane a calmness, which helped me relax on the flight. I listened to music, which calmed my nerves and gave me peace of mind.

This museum was built on the last piece of land available in the National Mall in Washington D.C. The National Mall also contains the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, and more.

In reading about the new museum, I learned that its design is unlike anything else in Washington, D.C. Many buildings and monuments in the Washington D.C. area are designed in the Neoclassical style, and are white, made of sandstone, limestone, and marble. The new museum has a modern three tiered design, covered in panels of intricate brown ironwork.





The museum opening day finally came. We drove to Washington, D.C., my brother, my parents and I. We parked at the Ronald Reagan building, a few blocks from the museum. We made our way to the street level, and found this view of the museum:

We then set off for lunch, at the nearby Old Ebbitt Grill, which has been in Washington, D.C. since 1856.

After lunch we walked the three blocks to the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Along the way, we had a wonderful view of the Washington Monument and the U.S. Capitol building.




We arrived at the timed passes entry point at 2:30pm. We thought we were early to get in to the museum. Unbeknownst to us at the time, the opening of the museum was an hour late. Yet, the mood of the people waiting with us in line was that of excitement. Everyone was eager to gain entry into the museum, to see the building and the artifacts contained within.

While we waited in line, I took advantage of the time, taking pictures of the new museum, the Washington Monument, and the atmosphere of the day. It was a wonderful day for the event. The weather was perfect. It was an early autumn day, with a sky full of clouds.  The weather was crisp and temperate, not at all hot or humid.







Our strength and perseverance paid off. We entered the lobby of the museum at 6pm. We had been waiting in line since 2:30pm. Our bodies were exhausted after waiting in line for nearly four hours. Yet, my heart was full of excitement. We decided to see as much as we could see, and when we got too tired to continue, we would leave for the day. We did the best we could, visiting every floor of the museum. I took many photos, and two videos:























The most poignant moment of my day happened on the lowest level of the museum, level C3, where the artifacts from the time of slavery are kept. While walking through the impossibly overcrowded hallways, I sought out the information cards in the exhibits and read them aloud for my mother.

At one point, I was drawn to a rectangular glass case, which contained a violin. I read the card containing the name of the owner of the violin. There was a man standing nearby, crying. The man looked to my mother and I and remarked: “That was my great-grandfather.” He then broke down, sobbing.

I was overcome in that moment. I instinctively put my hands to my heart. I was moved by what the man had said, and his open display of emotion. I stood there for a moment, speechless, not knowing how to reply. I finally spoke to him: 
“Wow sir, what a wonderful moment for you.”

I did not know what to say in that moment. Perhaps I should have not said anything to him. My mother and I moved on, giving the man some space. I looked back to the man; he was now bent over the glass case, weeping. That was a profound, beautiful moment to witness. In dreaming of attending the museum opening, I never dreamed that I would meet someone whose ancestor had an artifact in the museum.


Did we see everything in the museum? Not at all. We saw about a quarter of the museum in total. With 28,000 people in the museum, it was extremely hard to navigate. However, the museum committed to stay open until midnight to ensure that visitors would have the time to see what they wanted to see. 

I will have to make another trip to Washington, D.C. to see the museum again. I will plan to be there an entire day, to truly see everything. However, I think I will wait a year, to allow the crowds to die down.

It was a long, grueling day. But we were there. We were among the first in the general public to visit the National Museum of African American History and Culture. What an incredible honor it was, to be a part of history.

© All writing and photography © Esperanza Habla All rights reserved ©







Comments