Made of Music

Made of Music
(A Letter to the Moon)

Hello Luna, my old friend. How are you? I am sorry that has been so long since I have written you. I have had a very busy this year. I have been writing on my blog, and I have taken some online classes. I took a Spanish culture class, a class about global communication, and a course on how to write a short story. I am now taking a class about being mindful in the workplace.

In addition to taking the online classes, I have been writing about you! I began a “Moons of the Year” series every month in which I write your full moon phase. I write about the name of the moon, the origin of the name and its meaning. I do not always receive comments about my writing. However, people have been reaching out to me to tell me how much they have loved reading the series. It seems that there are many selenophiles out there in the world.


"Selenophile definition" by Esperanza Habla

I have also been very busy this year working on my next book, “Symphonies.” While I am well versed in the publishing of a book, I still do not take it for granted. Once I submit the book file to the printer, I then order a proof, or advanced copy of the book, to read the book myself. I then scour the book, looking for things to edit.  I am very close to publishing the book. I think I will have it out in May. I will be sure to write you once the book is out.


In discussing “Symphonies” with a friend recently, I said that music is in my DNA. (DNA is short for deoxyribonucleic acid, which is the genetic make-up of human beings.) 

Music has been a part of my life since the age of three. I began singing in my church choir at three years of age. I briefly took guitar lessons,  as well as piano lessons, flute lessons, and I took vocal lessons and performed in choirs for twenty-five years. I sing in the car, in my home, anywhere I choose. 

My life has a soundtrack that accompanies it, which changes song styles and tracks daily. If I do not have music playing, 
I remedy that situation quickly. The friend I was having the discussion with agreed with me. She remarked:
“You’re absolutely right. Music is in your DNA. This is the book you were born to write.”

After that conversation, I wondered if it could be true, if music can truly permeate a person's DNA. To my absolute astonishment, it can! I found many articles, and an excerpt of a book, that talk about this phenomenon. In fact, different genres of music absorb into DNA differently. Here are those links so you can read about it yourself:





I was amazed to learn that what I had had said in passing was in fact true, that music can absorb into human DNA. Yet 
I went on to discover another miraculous phenomenon: human DNA can also be a source of music! Scientists can extract human DNA and produce music with the sample! Each person on Earth can create their own individual, unique sound! The very genetic make-up of humanity can produce music!

Who knew that music would have such an effect on the human body. Now that I know that music can be absorbed into our DNA, I wonder what else can be absorbed into human DNA. Perhaps language abilities? An appreciation of fine art? A love of literature? The inspiration to create? The possibilities are endless. 

This knowledge gives me hope for the future, to learn about new discoveries with regards to DNA. If I had the mind of a scientist, I could embark on a new career to explore these possibilities. But I do not have the mind of a scientist. I am a writer that is made of music. 


Well, I will let you go now Luna. I will write you as soon as the book has been published. 

Until then, take care Luna. Give my love to Sally.

Your friend,

-E

Comments