Pride 3.0

This month in the United States is Pride month, a time of celebration for the LGBTQ+ community. Last week was Pride week in Indianapolis; throughout the week there were countless events throughout Indianapolis. Last Saturday was the Pride parade in Indianapolis.


This was my third year to participate in Pride. I first participated in 2014...

...and again in 2015.

 We made our way downtown in the early morning hours. I met up with our group, and we went to our marshaling point. Upon our arrival we had a breakfast provided of doughnuts and coffee, bagels and cream cheese, orange juice and water. Being a person with a food allergy, I brought my own sandwich to eat. As others in the group ate their doughnuts and bagels, I ate the sandwich I had brought. I was not hungry at the time. However, I knew I would need the energy.

While we waited for the start of the parade we introduced ourselves to one another and talked among our group, sharing beads and baubles and stories of Prides in the past. I even got a hand crocheted Pride bracelet from a fellow walker.





The Pride parade began at 10am. The first group to participate in the parade was a group of 49 walkers, each representing the people that died in a mass shooting in the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, Florida, which took place a year ago today. It was the worst shooting event in U.S. history.

My group was close to the end of the parade. In years past, the groups in the parade were stretched out along one street. This year however the groups participating were spread out on side streets. To look at it from above, it would look like spokes in a bicycle wheel, or fingers on an outstretched hand. It made it feel separate, compartmentalized. It was very strange to experience Pride in this configuration, compared to years past.

An hour after the start of the parade, we finally began to walk. The crowds cheered for us like we were rock stars. We turned the music up on our accompanying bookmobile. The music boomed out of the vehicle with a techno beat. We heard “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga, “Party in the C.I.A.” by Miley Cirus, and many more hits. I loved being there, singing along to the music with the crowd.

Before we knew it, we had come to the end of the route. It was a great time full of great energy from the crowd.

Hours after the event I checked my daily amount of steps on my phone. The number was in the 7,000 range. Many people have a goal of doing 10,000 steps in a day. I had done that many steps in 90 minutes.

This year’s Pride was a special event for me. This would be my first year to participate knowing my true sexual orientation. I looked forward to the event for weeks. I was glad to have the chance to participate in the event. I truly felt a sense of Pride while marching in the parade. I was glad to be there, and proud to represent people like me.

After all, that is what Pride is all about. Represent others like you. Be who you are. Let your freak flag fly. Speak your truth. March with pride.
"Pride Selfie" by Esperanza Habla















Comments