Eclipse 2017

"Eclipse 2017"

or "Ionically Charged"

A month ago, I was on a vacation from work. I stayed at home on my vacation, working on improvement projects around my home. On my second day of vacation, the forecast called for rain and thunderstorms. I looked forward to the rain; the ground needed a thorough soaking.

That morning the rains came.  My cats, Jazz and Blues, ran to escape the storm, retreating to their cubby holes for safety, much as humans run to a storm cellar when there is an impending tornado. I went about my work in the home, noting the hours of continual rain.

At one point, I noticed the difference in the day. As the rain continued to fall, I noticed the change in the air, and how my body was reacting to it. The air was charged, and I felt it. Somehow, I was feeling the outside atmosphere while inside my home, within my body. I remember feeling a great deal of stress that day. I was ready for my vacation. Yet as the rain continued that day, I felt the stress leave my body.

That evening, after hours of continual rain, I was changed. Every ounce of stress had left my body. I felt as if I had taken gotten a full body massage, or a proper night’s rest. It was a boost to my mood, an elimination of my stress, and a feeling complete, utter relaxation.  It was at once calming, soothing, and restorative.

Before that moment, I had never experienced that feeling before. In researching what I experienced that day, I discovered that scientists have known of this impact on the body for years. This difference in the air, in the atmosphere, is caused by negative ions.

Negative ions in the air can have a positive effect on the biochemistry of our bodies. Exposure to negative ions has been compared to the rejuvenating effect of taking a shower. Showering wakes us up, and often puts us in a good mood. Our mood receives such a lift that we break out into song, thus singing in the shower. This boost in mood is due to exposure to negative ions.

In nature, we can experience this same lift in mood and energy when exposed to the atmosphere after a thunderstorm. With such a dramatic effect on the body, ionic treatments have been prescribed for people who experience clinical depression, as well as for those who suffer from seasonal affective disorder (known as S.A.D.) 



In the weeks since that summer storm I longed to experience that feeling again. For me to experience that feeling within my home, the atmosphere had to be highly charged. After hours of continual rain and thunderstorms, it would lend itself to being charged with ions.


To my absolute delight, I was able to experience this feeling again-during the recent solar eclipse.

Days before the eclipse the event loomed on the horizon. I was aware of the eclipse as I wrote about it in my Moons of the Year series…

While I knew the event was on the horizon, I knew that I would not be able to view the event. It was to take place in my state in the middle of the day, during my normal work hours. While I knew I could not watch it live, I knew that N.A.S.A would be streaming the event live on their website.

When it was time to view the eclipse, I went to the N.A.S.A. website to view the event on my computer. To my surprise, at the last minute, I was given the opportunity to see the eclipse. One of my co-workers informed me that she had procured two sets of solar eclipse glasses, and that we were welcome to take a moment to go outside and view the eclipse. I had never seen a solar eclipse before, and jumped at the chance.

I had heard instructions for viewing the eclipse on the news that morning:
“Do not view the eclipse without safety glasses.”

“When putting on safety glasses, look down towards the ground,
put the glasses on, and then look up at the sun.”

I did just as I was advised. I looked down at the ground, put the solar eclipse glasses on over my own eyeglasses, and then looked up at the sun.

What I saw before my eyes was the most magical thing I have ever seen. The eclipse was almost at totality; the sun moving in front of the moon created a crescent moon of orange light in the sky. It looked similar to this:

Image courtesy of N.A.S.A.: https://twitter.com/NASA

As I stood watching the eclipse, I took pictures of the event with my smartphone. I knew it would not capture what I was seeing through the solar eclipse glasses; however, I wanted to capture the event. I did not know if I would be successful in capturing anything with the camera on my iPhone. I was looking through the solar eclipse glasses, and not aiming the camera at anything but the sky.

Yet I did capture something after all. Here is one of the pictures I took from the solar eclipse. I did not notice it, until I looked at the image on a larger screen, I was able to capture a mirrored reflection of the moon in each photo. As the eclipse neared the totality phase, the small moon reflection got closer to sun.

Watching the eclipse, it felt other worldly. I felt exactly as I felt on the day of the thunderstorm a month prior. My body chilled, and I got goosebumps. It was just like the stormy day that I experienced a month ago. The charged air gave an immediate energy increase, as well as a feeling of release and calm.

As I watched the eclipse reach the totality phase, I found myself pondering the eclipse, and other solar eclipses throughout history. How had the different civilizations throughout the history of mankind view this astronomical phenomenon? 

It was an honor and a privilege to view the eclipse. I counted myself among the lucky.

I have seen several lunar eclipses in my life; they are more common, with two occurring per year. Yet a solar eclipse does not happen every day. In fact, it will be 2024 until the next solar eclipse is visible in the United States. I look forward to the next solar eclipse. I look forward to purchasing solar eclipse glasses well in advance of the event, so I can view the eclipse again.

Until then, I will wait for the next day of thunderstorms. I can’t wait to experience that feeling again, to witness the next solar eclipse, to experience the atmosphere ionically charged.




©Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved



Comments