Ultra Violet

Around this time of year every year a magical thing happens: the Pantone Color Institute picks a new color for the upcoming year. This choice of color will be seen throughout the world in fashion, home décor, Christmas decorations, cosmetics, jewelry and more.


If you have never heard of the Pantone Color Institute, they are all about color. If you have ever seen a color wheel or color chart, chances are it was made by Pantone.

Every color on the Pantone chart has a number and name.


The color for 2017 was Greenery, which has been likened to a famous amphibian...


This morning the Pantone Color Institute announced the color for the year of 2018. Drumroll please, the Pantone color of the year is…..

Ultra Violet-Pantone 18-3838

As the Indigo Poet of the Moon, I am excited that the Pantone Company chose a shade of purple as its color of the year.

I did a blog post two years ago about how much I love the color red. It is entitled, “Red I Said”

While I do love the color red, I have a natural affinity for the color purple. It has been my favorite color for as long as 
I can remember. For my senior ring in high school, I got a purple stone. My cell phone case, for my business phone line, is purple. As I write, I am wearing a purple fleece jacket with my library’s logo on it. Purple is my color.

When I began my writing journey, I remember having a conversation with a friend about what I was feeling. I was disappointed about something, and I told my friend I was feeling a little blue. He immediately replied, “You aren’t blue, you’re indigo.” I was in a state confusion as to what he meant by calling me indigo.

I began to research the concept of being indigo. The color indigo, a hue of purple, is the color of the sky at night, just as the stars begin to shine. In regards to people being indigo, I found that a person is indigo is they have the following attributes:

Wisdom, loyalty, insight, spiritualism, intuition,
perception, devotion, creativity, and a responsibility to the truth

When I first read the definition, I did not think of myself as being indigo in any way shape or form. As I grew as a person, artist, and as a woman, I embraced the concept of being indigo. It was then that I began to call myself the Indigo Poet of the Moon. I even wrote about seeing the world through a set of Indigo Colored Glasses.

Since then I have fashioned my business around the color indigo, which has often been translated into purple. The colors on this blog, while it is a representation of outer space, are purple. My website features the color purple.

My logo for my business features different colors of purple.

My new personal website, which I built last month, also features the color purple…

The color purple has a great significance in the world. Hearkening back to biblical times, purple has been the color of royalty. The purple tint was first produced using sea snails. As it was labor intensive to procure the dye, any cloth made of purple was of great expense. It then follows that only the richest people at the time could afford it. The color can be seen in royal garb, robes, even the royal crown of England.

Purple is also known as a color of spirituality. It brings about creativity, imagination, and introspection. The website Empowered By Color explores this meaning of the color purple:


“Purple or violet assists those who seek the meaning of life and spiritual fulfillment - it expands our awareness, connecting us to a higher consciousness. For this reason it is associated with transformation of the soul and the philosophers of the world are often attracted to it. In the meaning of colors, purple and violet represent the future, the imagination and dreams, while spiritually calming the emotions. They inspire and enhance psychic ability and spiritual enlightenment, while, at the same time, keeping us grounded…From a color psychology perspective, purple and violet promote harmony of the mind and the emotions, contributing to mental balance and stability, peace of mind, a link between the spiritual and the physical worlds, between thought and activity. Violet and purple support the practice of meditation.”

In recent times, the color purple has come to represent womanhood. My local women’s shelter has purple featured in their branding. In fact, many women’s organizations feature purple, including the National Woman’s Party, the League of Women Voters, and Women Against Abuse.




The color purple is quite often paired with the color red, a power color associated with femininity. In the last year, there has been a resurgence of feminism in the United States. Instead of having the first female President in U.S. history, we instead have a man who has been accused of sexual assault. There was a Women’s March in January of this year which brought out women marching for equality and to bring about social change in every major city in the United States.

There has also been a growth in the number of female candidates for political office.

There is also a meaning of the color purple in the LGBT+ community, also referred to as the G.S.D. (Gender/Sexuality Diversity) community. On the rainbow flag, the color represents the human spirit.

"Rainbow Flag Representation" by Esperanza Habla

On the asexual flag….


…and on the demisexual flag…



….purple represents community.

It could be said then that the color purple stands for femininity, progressiveness, community, and change.
“This shade is one of nonconformity,” said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. “People are looking for ways to display creativity.”

With all of this in mind, the New York Times wrote an article about the color of the year, entitled “The Future is....Purple.”
“It ‘communicates originality, ingenuity and visionary thinking,’ Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, said by way of explanation….It’s also the most complex of all colors,’ she said, ‘because it takes two shades that are seemingly diametrically opposed — blue and red — and brings them together to create something new.’"

The Fast Co. Design website shared this article on the color choice:
"We’re wrestling with an administration that wants to reverse decades of progress in civil rights, economic justice, environmentalism, and more. We’re confronting the ugly truths about gender inequality and abuse. But just as fast as some forces are yanking us into the past, we’re careening even more rapidly into the future thanks to powerful innovations in biotechnology, artificial intelligence, and blockchain technology. Purple, of all the colors in the spectrum, embodies this situation best, as Pantone explains. ‘[Ultra Violet] is a very provocative shade, but it’s also a thoughtful color–it sounds like a bit of an oxymoron,’ Eisenman says. ‘This is the kind of color attached, historically, to originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking. These are the elements we need to create a meaningful future. Inventiveness and imagination is something we seek in our personal lives and business worlds. People are looking for that ‘magic bullet,’ and this shade is the perfect shade to lead right into it . . . It’s intriguing, fascinating, and magical.’”


I am beyond the moon excited that the Pantone Company chose a share of purple for its Color of the Year for 2018. I see it as a color of progressiveness, community, working together for a better future, of hope. 

Get ready for positive change. Get ready to see the world with an Ultra Violet hue.















Comments