Student of Life


In my job at the library, I have been encouraged to engage in learning activities. I have taken several classes online, encompassing several topics. In taking these classes, learning new information, it has initiated a desire in me to continue to learn new things.

Looking back, I suppose I have always been a student of life. I have always had a curiosity about the world around me.

I have always loved music. As I listen to a piece of music, I am subconsciously listening to the nuances in sound, paying attention to the lyrics, noticing the changing of keys, the harmony, the instrumentation, the differences in styles.

When I watch a movie, I cannot help but notice the numerous parts that make up a scene-the look of the film, the music accompanying the scene, the way an actor moves within the scene, the motivation of the characters, the story being told, the performance the actor gives.

When I began my writing career and began to have an online presence, I met many people through social media. After connecting with a person online, I learned about the person, where they lived, what they did for a living, what various forms of creation and performance made their own kind of art. 

When writing a new piece, I must research the topic I am writing about. I cannot begin to write about what I do not know. When writing on a particular topic-gun control, equality laws, the gender pay gap, the Me Too movement-I will always cite the source I learned the information from.

Having experienced all of the above, it has become abundantly obvious to me that I am no longer satisfied with the status quo. I now have a need to learn new things. 


There are a myriad of things I would like to learn. I would like to learn how to perform basic tasks around the house, like how to hang a new light fixture, or how to install a new thermostat. I want to refresh my skills in American Sign Language. I want to learn the language of computer science. I want to learn coding. I want to learn Minecraft. I want to learn how to operate a Merge Cube.

I want to learn Italian. I want to learn about databases and online resources that my library provides. I want to continue to learn Spanish. I want to learn how to make lemon bars, and other luscious baked goods, paying special attention to my food allergy. I want to learn more U.S. history, from the Hamilton era. 

I want to learn more about social issues that make the front page news. I want to learn about social injustices around the world. I want to learn how I can take action to better the world around me.

I want to learn about different religions, to experience worship in a temple, a mosque, a gurdwara. I want to talk with immigrants and refugees that are new to my area, to learn the stories of how they came to America. I want to learn how 
I can do my part to save the Earth.


Each day provides us the opportunity to learn something new. It is a new normal for me, to spend my time learning rather than writing. I must learn how to balance both activities in my life, learning and writing. I pledge to continue to do both, and to write about my learning experiences

In looking to the future, I am thankful for the opportunity to learn new things, and I welcome these experiences. I look forward to learning about the world around me, performing this work as student of life.


"Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching."



Comments