The Notebook

There is a word for everything in the human experience. Well, almost everything. I find myself at a loss. I know there is a word for what I am experiencing, yet I have not discovered it as of yet.


Have you ever finished a book and then felt a void in your spirit, a sort of emptiness, from not having another book to read? Many readers have experienced this from time to time. Working in a library, I hear this a great deal.

I have experienced this feeling from time to time; however, as a writer, I experience this feeling when I do not have a notebook of blank paper to write in. I try to keep at least one notebook in my home for my writing. I write letters, grocery lists, poems, essays, random thoughts that no one will ever see. 


I recently found myself without a notebook to write in. It was an uncomfortable feeling for me; in those times, it felt as if 
I had a cloth wrapped around my mouth, which rendered me silent. 

I don’t like to experience this at all. As such, I try to have several notebooks on hand, to avoid just such an occasion. However, I recently found myself without one. I felt cut off from the world, separated from my voice. It’s a feeling I don’t wish on anyone.


I like to shop for notebooks bookstores. I love to see the variety of notebooks, cover designs, bindings, etc. I make sure to look for a spiral bound book; for me, they are easier to work with, as I can lay them flat when writing. It must also have a good paper interior, one that will take various types of ink.

However, in that moment of need, I went to a local big box store, hoping to find something that would fit the bill. To my shock and surprise, I found a spiral notebook I liked, which happened to be on sale, which was a nice size and had a nice paper quality.


That night I arrived home and immediately began to write. Writing in the new notebook brought me such peace. I wrote in earnest, filling pages with countless thoughts. I will share these writings in the coming days and weeks.

Now that I have found a notebook to write in, I should be on the lookout for more. I don't want to find myself without a notebook again.

Now I am complete. Now I can breathe again. Now I can express myself. Now I can use my voice.

Who would imagine such a sense of peace could come from a notebook.



*this notebook is currently on sale at Papyrus: 




Comments