Christmas Newsletter 2019


Hello everyone,                                                                                                             
            Happy Christmas to you all! I hope this Christmas missive finds you well. The past year has been a roller coaster ride, full of twists and turns, ups and downs, as well as some stomach churning moments. However, I have survived and am here to share my news of the year.

            The first high point of the year was the opening of the new library. We closed our doors on Saturday, April 27, and held a going away party. Throughout the month of May we worked on getting moving the old collection, as well as adding thousands of new materials to our new collection. Opening day of the new library was June 1. The community welcomed us with open arms, with close to 1,100 people in attendance. It was a fun party and a truly amazing day.

            Another high point in my year was being chosen to serve on the library’s LGBTQ services committee. Beginning in June 
I served at Indiana Youth Group (IYG), a service organization for LGBTQ youth under 18. I also worked on the Chris Gonzalez collection, a collection of over 8,000 books and movies given to the library by Indy Pride. With this collection, we now have the third largest library LGBTQ collection in the country, behind New York Public Library and San Francisco. That is quite a jewel in our crown as Indiana is the land of Pence and the now infamous Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA) law. Work on the Gonzalez collection continues into 2020. It has been an honor to meet other unicorns in the library, as well as to be of service to the LGBTQ communities.

            On the heels of this high point, there came a large low point. On July 2 I was involved in a hit-and-run accident with a semi truck. I was turning in to Target, the semi truck was turning out, and couldn’t navigate the turn. At one point the trailer of the semi hit my windshield, getting stuck on the top of my car. When the semi drove off of my car, my car collapsed under the weight; the tires popped, the passenger doors buckled, and the passenger windows exploded. Once he was a safe distance away, the semi driver stopped a moment, said “Sorry….” and then drove away. I took pictures of the truck leaving the scene, the police came and made a report, my car went to be repaired, and I went to work. Ob la di, ob la da, life goes on.

            It was a five mile an hour car crash, and could have been ten times worse. While not a near death experience, it could have been a brush with death. If I had had a passenger that day, they could have been decapitated. I was blessed to walk away from the crash without so much as a bruise. I survived the crash, and I survived for a reason. I thank God, my guardian angel, spirit guides, whoever it was that saved me that day. I am truly grateful to be alive. This experience taught me that life is short, that life can change in an instant. It also taught me to be grateful for everything I’ve been given, including a second chance at life.

            With this dip in the road, I was able to end the year on a  high point, publishing my latest book, “The Written Word.” It is my fifth collection published in English, and my seventh book published to date. Copies are available now, exclusively on Amazon. Just search for Esperanza Habla in the books category. Books make perfect Christmas gifts!

            In closing, I have learned many lessons this year. Every day is a gift. Cherish it. Take time for yourself. Practice self love. Put lotion on your hands when they’re dry and cracked. Wear a scarf. Buckle up. Indulge in a sweet treat every now and then. 
Give your spirit what it needs. Savor a cup of hot chocolate or tea. Curl up with a good book, one now available on Amazon. ; ) Always give semi trucks the right of way. Take a moment each day to be grateful for all that you have.

Happy Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone. I wish you a joyous and grateful 2020.

             

Comments