COVID week 6

Productivity

Hello friend, how are you? I hope you and your family are safe and well. I am writing on week 6 of the coronavirus crisis, day 42 of sheltering in place.

There were two holidays that happened this week:

-Earth Day-a day intended for all to stop, give pause, and give thanks for all that the Earth provides us. It is also a time to think about how humanity has hurt the Earth, created global warming, and what we can do, as individuals and as a collective people sharing the planet, to counteract the damage and protect all of Earth's inhabitants.



-Ramadan-a month long holiday in which Muslims fast to celebrate to give thanks to Allah (or God) for giving the first books of the Quran to the prophet Muhammad. Much like Jews who celebrated Passover and Christians who celebrated Easter, Muslims are celebrating Ramadan in a markedly different way this year. Ramadan Mubarak to all who celebrate!



As for me, I had a very busy week. I took part in a video meeting with my coworkers. It was wonderful to see everyone again. Our video conference focused on the plan to begin to open libraries again, and everything that that entails. There are many unknowns and changes for the weeks ahead; it will be a new normal for the foreseeable future. 

I also began a project of my own-transferring files and photographs to my tablet. I have an older laptop, which has been my storage facility for these items. As anyone who has owned a computer knows, it's not a question of whether or not your laptop will stop working, it's a question of when it will stop working. 

While I have time to dedicate to the project, and while my laptop is still functioning, I thought it a good time to begin the process. It has been wonderful to look through old photographs, to see places I’ve visited, to remember milestone moments, to reminisce with friends and family. 

Part of this process is to organize all of these photos into albums. I have had my laptop for so long I had different methods of storing the photographs. Sorting through them now allows me to create a cohesive file system; it will be easier to find these photos in the future, and to save new photographs as well. As I have just begun this project this week, I have much work to do. Still, I have made progress. It has been a productive endeavor.

That was not my goal for the week, to be productive. In truth, I don’t have any goals. My entire focus has been to do what feels right. If I feel my home could use a quick cleaning, I clean it. If I need to take trash out to the dumpster, I take it out. If I didn’t get a full night’s sleep-thanks to some cats I live with-and I feel the need to relax and watch streaming content all day, that’s what I do. 

Productivity is not just doing work, the end result, the completion of a task. In these unprecedented times, everyday moments, the simplest of tasks, are in fact productive.

Taking a bath is productive. Washing your hair is productive. Meditating is productive. Taking a walk is productive. Gardening is productive. Taking care of yourself and your family is productive. Making a donation to charity is productive. Sorting through items, whether in your home or on your computer, is productive. Exercising is productive. Playing with your pets is productive. Helping your children with their homework is productive. 

Wearing a face mask in public is productive. Washing your hands for more than 20 seconds is productive. Getting food and groceries delivered is productive. Taking time for yourself and your mental health is productive. Staying home in accordance with shelter in place orders is productive.

My friend, I wish you health and happiness, and a productive week. I leave you now with some images and music of healing, humor, and hope.

Love from me,
            -E











Elmo's Playdate, Sesame Street:

Comments