My Happy Place

My Happy Place-a Letter to the Moon


Hello Luna, how are you? Long time no see! Only kidding, I saw you the other night, shining in all your brilliance. You looked great, Luna. It was great to see you.

So much has happened since the last time we spoke. The global pandemic that I wrote you about is only getting worse. We are seeing over 100,000 new cases daily. In my home state, we're averaging 5,500 cases daily. We have also had days with over 8,000 new cases! Those numbers are obscene! 

Back when we were in lock down in March, April and May, we had about 400 new cases daily. I don't know why we aren't in lock down. Personally, I feel like a canary in a coal mine, being out in the workplace. 

It is not a question of "if" someone will contract the virus, it's a question of "when." Either a co-worker will get it and transmit it to me, or I will get it and transmit it to a coworker.  My prayer is that it doesn't kill anyone when it comes.


Talks of vaccines for the virus, that were once hypothetical, have become a reality. Doctors and nurses, hospital personnel, and the military are now receiving the first doses of the vaccine across the country. These first inoculations are a glimmer of hope to the beginning of the end of this pandemic.

There will be several sections of the population that receive the vaccine next: people in assisted living facilities, correctional officers, inmates, essential workers, delivery drivers, grocery workers, pharmacy personnel, and more. 

Once those groups have been inoculated, the general public will then begin receiving the vaccine, which is now predicted to be June or July of 2021. Until it's my turn to get the vaccine, I will wear a face mask to protect myself and others.


In the past few weeks, I have thought a lot about the year that has been, and what we have all lived through. I remember New Year's Eve night, 2019, looking forward to 2020 with great enthusiasm. As the Swarovski crystal ball dropped in Times Square, I couldn't wait for 2019 to be over. However now, looking back, I cannot remember what was so awful about it. Last year was blissfully carefree compared to this year!

In my moments of pause and reflection, I have taken time to celebrate the season. I take great comfort in being at home, nestled in on my comfy couch, watching Charlie Brown Christmas, or another beloved Christmas movie, with my Christmas tree turned on and spinning, the lights warming my spirit, a warm fleece blanket on my lap, with my cats Jazz and Blues close by, cradling a warm cup of hot chocolate. That is my happy place.  

That is my wish for the world, that we all find our own happy place-a sense of peace within our hearts and minds that brings us comfort and joy. Perhaps it is foolish wish in these times, to wish for calm and peace. Yet, it is the exact thing we need. 

We have survived what was once unthinkable; we deserve to replenish our spirit, take time to give thanks, and to celebrate in a way that brings us comfort and joy.  

That is my wish for the world, that we all find our own happy place. A peaceful holiday to you, my friend.

      -E









Comments