Ukraine

I watch the news nightly, to find out what’s happening in the U.S. and around the world. I sit, completely riveted to the screen. I am aghast as my brain tries to process what I’m witnessing. I’m sure that many around the world are having the same out of body experience as they watch footage of current events in Ukraine.

One of the images that resonated with me was of people taking cover and sheltering in place in subway stations underground. I had heard of this happening in World War II, people escaping to the subway tunnels when the air raid sirens sounded.  When I’ve seen this depicted in movies about the era, I always assumed that people would stay in the subway for a few of hours, and then return to their lives when it was safe to do so. I didn’t think about people living in subways for a week or more. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/world/europe/russia-ukraine-war-shelters.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&fbclid=IwAR3ZVqRf1Aa79qTaRKz1dEYHtQiGonwTTAwweVUIA1WXJRhGNJr9SdV82QE
 

All that is taking place in Ukraine is unfathomable to me, as it is to many Americans. I can’t picture being invaded by another nation. I have no idea what an invasion would look like. The United States has never been invaded. When I hear the word “invasion”, I envision an attack by alien beings, like in the film “Independence Day.”


https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/independence-day-movie-cast-oral-history-1234976626/


Many Americans are fortunate in that they cannot picture what an invasion would look like, or what that experience would even be like. Many Americans have never had to flee their homeland due to war or armed conflict with another country, or with opposing factors within their country. 

Like many Americans, I will never know the experience of being a refugee. Imagine having to flee your country to escape a war. Imagine having to flee from everything you know, into an uncertain future, leaving loved ones behind, or sending loved ones ahead to safety, in an attempt to survive an attack. No one survives such an experience without emotional and or physical scars. The trauma, and post-traumatic stress disorder, that refugees experience is unthinkable. 

On a personal level, I am a person who is centered around peace. I often refer to myself a "peacemonger." I define the word as "a person of peace." I mindfully strive to create and maintain peace within my home and in my relationships with others. I recently took an enneagram personality test; the result: I'm the peacemaker. As a peacemonger, a peacemaker, I find wanton death and destruction unconscionable.

To be clear, no one wants this. The world doesn't want this. Many countries around the world have condemned what is happening in Ukraine. Even Switzerland, who never takes a side in international disputes, officially opposes this conflict. It has been heartening to see the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who have come out in protest of what is happening in Ukraine, and in support of Ukraine and its people.


In fact, many Russian citizens oppose what is happening in Ukraine. Thousands have protested the actions of the Russian President, many of whom have been arrested and placed into custody. One such example is an elderly woman; the footage of her arrest has gone viral:

While I am shocked by images of Ukraine, I have also seen images of hope and peace. I’ve seen resistance fighters get married. I’ve seen babies born in underground makeshift bomb shelters. I've seen images of the resistance in Ukraine, thousands of people uniting to protect their country and assure their freedom.

I am heartened by the images of people around the world helping those who have fled the Ukraine. People in Germany provided food and shelter, often in their own homes. Many provided wellness kits, complete with a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, baby formula, baby wipes, maxi pads and tampons, medicine, and other similar essentials. There was a heartening image in Poland of baby strollers that had been donated at a local train station for Ukraine parents to use. 

 https://www.mother.ly/life/news/news-viral-trending/polish-mothers-strollers-ukraine/




For those of us in the world that oppose what is happening in Ukraine right now, we have a moral imperative to do something about it. If you oppose these events, speak out about it. Donate money to organizations that are helping those in the conflict. Even a small monetary amount will make an incredible difference. I have made a list of worthwhile organizations, which I share below.

In doing research for this piece, I learned that the national flower of Ukraine is the sunflower. It has also become a symbol of the resistance. For those that do not know about sunflowers, they follow the sun. As the sun moves across the sky, sunflowers follow the sun, positioning themselves to face the sun during all daylight hours. It derives its strength from the sun. It's like the Sword of Griffindor in the Harry Potter books; the sunflower only takes in that which nourishes it and makes it stronger.  

I have changed my profile pictures on all of my social media accounts to show a sunflower, and a simple message: I stand with Ukraine. I share the images I created below. Feel free to use my work on your social media platforms. (Works from other artists have an accompanying link to their Instagram page.)

To the people of Ukraine, the world is with you. The world is watching, and we will not look away. We are here for you.  We pray for you. We stand with you. God bless you. 

"In Ukraine, rivers of tears and blood are flowing...
...the need for humanitarian assistance 
is growing by the hour...
.....war is madness, please stop."
-Pope Francis

 
“God, grant that this tragic midnight
of man’s inhumanity to man 
will soon pass
and the bright daybreak 
of freedom and brotherhood
will come into being.”
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Profile Pic" by Esperanza Habla



Organizations helping in Ukraine:

-World Central Kitchen-Chef José Andrés travels the world to help people in crisis, whether in times of natural disaster or war. Chef Andrés and his crew are now in Ukraine feeding thousands of people along the Ukrainian border.

https://wck.org/

-Together Rising-This organization helps people around the world. In the Ukraine they are currently helping families, especially in the LGBTQ+ communities and BIPOC (Black/Indigenous/People of Color) communities.

https://app.mobilecause.com/f/3puf/n?vid=qemdk

Urgent Action Fund-This is a feminist fund that helps women and non-binary people

https://secure.givelively.org/donate/urgent-action-fund-for-women-s-human-rights/urgent-response-fund-ukraine

-Doctors Without Borders-

https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/secure/donate?_ga=2.52051755.307920681.1646498098-1363546711.1646498098


-Dream Doctors Project-https://dreamdoctors.org.il/

-International Committee of the Red Crosshttps://www.icrc.org/en/donate/ukraine

-Unicefhttps://www.unicefusa.org/

-Ukraine Crisis Relief Fundhttps://www.globalgiving.org/projects/ukraine-crisis-relief-fund/

-International Rescue Committeehttps://www.rescue.org/

-Save the Childrenhttps://www.savethechildren.org/


Here is an article with more organizations:

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2022/03/03/ukraine-how-you-can-help

 


 

 

Comments