Lovely Number Nine

 Hello there friend,
 
How are you? How are things? I hope you’ve been well.
 
I’m writing with exciting news to share-I’ve published my latest book! The title is “A Part of History.” It’s live online and available to purchase via Amazon.


I even made a book trailer for it:

This book proved to be more difficult than other titles in the past. One piece in the book, “A Part of History”, had several photographs when I first shared it online. I picked a few of those photos to put in the book. However, when I received my first proof, an advanced copy of the book, the photos weren’t a good representation of what I had written.
 
Photographs don’t always work in books. When you’re publishing a book in a fixed format, which for my books is 6 inches wide by 9 inches tall, photographs fit on the page, but are most often too small for the reader to see the item in the photograph. I toiled for weeks on the photographs for that piece, inserting different photos in with the text. I finally found a collection of photographs that worked in harmony with the text.
 
I also had some spacing issues in the book. I’m mindful about the margins and spacing of every page. I’m also careful with the sizes of fonts, for both headings and text, the layout of paragraphs in the piece, as well as the spaces between paragraphs. However, I had a problem with the vertical spacing of the paragraphs themselves. I had to reset the vertical spacing for every paragraph on every page of the book, which proved to be a meticulous and exacting task.
 
 *
If you’ve not read my books before, my books are collections of the posts from this blog. Believe it or not, it’s quite difficult to transpose the writing into book form.
 
The first thing I do is compile the writing from the blog into one document. After that, I adjust the paragraphs on the page. I put a space between every paragraph, to make it easier to read. I will also split paragraphs to punctuate a certain passage, phrase, or idea. As every page is integral to the project, I fill the page with text, top to bottom. This process can take days or weeks to complete.
 
The next step is to dissect the material for any copyright infringement. Books cannot contain book titles, movie titles, lyrics, and photographs that aren’t produced by the author, or purchased under copyright laws.
 
For example, in one piece in this book, when I published it on this blog, I wrote about watching the Harry Potter movies. I own the films and watch them every year. However, in the book, I couldn’t use the words “Harry” or “Potter” in my writing. I changed the phrase to read “the wizard movies.” I understand that it might be confusing for the reader; it’s not my intention to be cryptic when these issues arise. However, I need to be careful to not violate any copyright laws.
 
I went over this book with a fine-tooth comb, as I do with every project. However, with the problems with the photographs and spacing, this book took more time than past endeavors.
 
This book had me going in circles. It seemed like the more errors I fixed, the more errors I created. I felt like Sisyphus after a time, the character in Greek mythology, doomed to forever roll a boulder uphill, only to have it roll back down again upon nearing the top. If I didn’t finish, I could have dissected the book ad infinitum. I had to come to a finishing point. I had to let it go.
 
 *
The book is done. Finally. Hallelujah! I poured my heart and soul into this book. It’s done, and I’m proud of my effort on it. The book is a thing of beauty. I can’t wait for you to read it.
 
Working on this book taught me some valuable lessons:
 
First, perfection is a goal. It’s just that, a goal, not a state of being. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. My level of perfection is different than the reader. I shouldn’t run myself ragged trying to make the project “perfect.”
 
Second, learn to let go. No one would ever see the “errors” that I saw in the project. You can get too close to the material. Like there is a beginning to a project, there has to be an end. There has to come a time when you’re happy with the project, and you can release it into the world.
 
That is exactly what it feels like, to publish a book, a release. It’s like releasing a formerly injured hawk into the wild. The feeling when the hawk takes flight again, after months of healing and nurturing, it’s breathtaking to behold.
 
The book is out there in the world, flying through the skies, soaring to the moon. Who knows where it will come to land.
 
 *
This is my ninth book published, the seventh writing collection published in English. While I have published nine books, I know they will never sell hundreds of millions of copies. I will never be a top the New York Times Best Seller list. But I don’t need to be. I continue to write, and to publish my work, for the pleasure of the project.
 
Now that the book is done, it’s time to think about the next project! I’ll start the next book earlier in the year, to give me adequate time to work on it. But for now, it’s the holidays. I’ve earned some peace for now. That’s what I want most for this holiday season, peace. You can’t wrap it, you can’t find it in a store, you can’t buy it-you have to give it yourself when you need it most.
 
When you’re finished with the book, feel free to send me your thoughts. Also, you could write a review for the book on Amazon. Book reviews are worth their weight in gold.
 
Thank you friend, for hearing me and for listening. And thank you for your support of this book, lovely number nine.
 
Peace, and much love,
          -Esperanza


email: lalunapress@gmail.com

website: https://linktr.ee/lalunapressllc


Comments