Corner of the Sky

"Corner of the Sky" 

Or 
"Eclipse 2024"

The date will go down in history, in my corner of the world-April 8, 2024. The date of the latest visible solar eclipse.

I’ve always been interested in the universe. I come by it naturally. When I was in elementary school, we went to the local high school to watch a presentation in their planetarium. We learned about the universe, the stars, constellations, and more. Simply put, I was star struck. (Pun unintended.)

A few years later I was a student at the high school, and was employed at the planetarium. It was a pleasure to perform the show I had seen years before, to introduce children to the constellations. It was a magical thing to witness, the complete awe and wonder in a child's face as stories of myths and legends came to life in the nighttime sky.

*
Because of the orbits of the Earth, Moon, and Sun, eclipses happen every eighteen months. However, most often than not, the eclipses occur over water, where no one can witness them. However, on April 8, the moon had a perfect arc in its Path of Totality.

It was said that 30 million Americans would be in the Path of Totality for this eclipse. The path would form into the perfect shadow above the continental United States, encompassing a path from Texas to Maine.


It was said that the eclipse would be visible, in one form or another, to all 50 states, and in thirty-six countries around the world. The effect of the eclipse was felt in the environment and in the local economy. It was reported that millions of Americans were traveling to get a view of the eclipse. The percentage of vacation bookings mirrored the Path of Totality across the United States.

*
My city was lucky enough to be in the Path of Totality. For weeks we gave out eclipse glasses at the library, one pair per person per day. As the date of the eclipse got closer, we loosened the restrictions a bit. If a family of five wanted a pair for each member of the family, we would happily oblige. 

I was lucky enough to receive a pair of glasses shortly after they arrived. I was able to procure another pair, about a month later. It was perfect-I had a pair to wear on my face, and a pair to use on my cellphone camera. Of course, just as it’s dangerous to look at a solar eclipse without eyewear protection, it’s also dangerous to look through a camera lens at an eclipse as well.

*
Totality was to take place at 3:06pm local time. At around 2:45pm. I noticed that the sky was getting darker, almost as if a thunderstorm were approaching. I grabbed my keys, my cellphone, my digital camera, and eclipse glasses, and set out to be an eyewitness to history.

When I got outside, I put my sunglasses on, and began walking towards a good vantage point. The sun was at a different position in the sky than I had anticipated, so I adjusted my location. I found a spot near a small lake in my community.

Looking upward, I stood there, swaying back and forth, to maintain my balance. I held my phone to the sky with the second pair of eclipse glasses in front of the camera. I saw the eclipse had a crescent moon shape, in the upper left corner of the sun. I took a few pictures, and managed to get one decent one…


"Partial Eclipse-Pre Totality" by Esperanza Habla-phone

I then got my camera out, and tried to take a photo with the digital camera, with the eclipse glasses in front of the lens. None of the photos I took could compare to the natural celestial majesty and beauty I saw before me.

When the eclipse was inching closer to totality, I put the phone and camera away, and took in the enormity of the moment. As the last liver of the sun was disappearing, I thanked God and the universe for being alive in that moment to witness it.

When the moon reached totality, it was completely dark. No one would have been able to see their hand in front of their face, had they tried. I took off my sunglasses and put my eyeglasses on. 

I then heard a neighbor, stood behind me, make a comment on the phenomenon. I looked back for a moment, surprised there was someone behind me. I then saw, off in the distance, a horizon of sunlight. That was where the moon’s shadow wasn’t covering the Earth. I don’t know how far in the distance it was, a mile perhaps, or maybe more.

Just as quickly as my corner of the sky was plunged into darkness, the sun began to glow behind the moon, displaying its beautiful corona in a perfect circle of light around the moon. It was spectacular to see. I then got my phone and camera out again, to take some photos of the moment. 

"Totality"-Esperanza Habla-digital camera

"Totality 2" by Esperanza Habla-digital camera

"Sun, Moon, Corona, and reflection" by Epseranza Habla-phone
*

As I stood there, craning my neck heavenward, I thought back to the first eclipse I witnessed in 2017. I had missed most of that event. However, I was able to see the final stages of the eclipse, a crescent moon on the bottom right part of the moon, on the opposite side of the sun. In that eclipse, my city wasn’t in the Path of Totality. Still, it was a sight to behold.

"Eclipse 2017" by Esperanza Habla

*

I did my best to take in the moments of totality. I’d heard that animals would become confused, birds would stop chirping, the temperature would drop, and other various forms of phenomena would occur. While I wasn’t outside for the entire event, I believe that to be true. At one point I had a chill within my body, one that normally produces goosebumps on the skin.

I found myself fascinated at the event, seeing Bailey’s Beads, when light from the sun, behind the moon, looks to be in orb formation around its perimeter. I was also fascinated to see a bright red dot at the bottom of the moon. I later learned that those dots are called a prominence, which is a solar flare on the surface of the sun.

*

The moments of totality ended with a jarring sliver of sunlight on the right side of the sun. I took off my eyeglasses, put on my sunglasses, and put my eclipse glasses on over those. I then tried to take more photographs of what I was seeing. Again, nothing could compare to what I was seeing with my own eyes.

Many later spoke about the profound meaning they felt during the eclipse. Some felt a sense of unity and oneness with all of humanity on the planet. Others felt it undeniable proof of God’s power and majesty. Some spoke of a feeling of isolation, a sense of being fundamentally and profoundly alone.

I must confess that I did not have a moment of profundity on a global or biblical level. That being said, the moment was not lost on me. It was a profound moment, one that I felt privileged to witness.

In addition to finding wonder in the astronomical phenomena before me, I wondered about past civilizations of peoples around the world. I wondered what myths and mythology they created in the face of such an astronomical event.

*

After the event, I walked home, eager to see video footage of the event. Before the eclipse, the national news was showing the eclipse in different cities along the Path of Totality. I was looking forward to watching the national coverage, which was being broadcast live from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which NASA predicted to be the best site in the United States to view the eclipse.

Once I arrived home, I pushed “rewind” on my TV remote, eager to see the national coverage of the vent. To my dismay, the national coverage being broadcast live to the rest of the country was replaced by local news coverage. I resigned myself to look up the national footage on YouTube later that night. I then plugged in my phone and my camera, to transfer the photos to a larger screen, to see if I was able to capture anything from the experience.

*

It's said that the next eclipse to be visible over the United States will be in 2044. The next one visible in my state will be in 2053. If I’m able to view the next eclipse, I’d do a few things differently.

First, I’d take a blanket to my viewing site, lie down on the ground, and view the entire show looking skyward from the ground. Craning my neck for over 20 minutes was anything but comfortable.

Second, I’d set a camera to record the phenomenon on video, and take photo stills from the video after the event. Third, I’d buy a better camera before the event. 

That being said, I'm especially proud of this one photo from the eclipse. It was taken during totality, and shows the moon, the sun, its corona, and the planet Venus.

"Sun-Moon-Totality-Venus" by Esperanza Habla

This year's eclipse was a marvel to behold. I'm so grateful to witness the phenomenon. I'm thankful to have been given the day off to experience it, to be alive on the Earth at that moment, and to be able to witness history in my corner of the sky.









Comments