Explosion of Light
You may not know this about me, but I am obsessed with disco balls. I have a disco ball enamel pin to wear on my lanyard at work....
"Disco ball pin with sparkles-extreme close up" by Hope
I have several small round disco ball Christmas ornaments.....
"Topiary Christmas tree with mini ornaments" by Hope
I also have larger round disco ball ornaments hanging up here and there around the house. The ornament I love most is a large disco ball ornament in the shape of a heart.
"Heart ornament" by Hope
The disco ball motif continues from there. I have a disco ball soap dispenser, coffee mug, hand towels, lidded containers, and a bath mat!
"Soap dispenser and lidded container" by Hope
"Hand towels" by Hope
"Bath mat" by Hope
But wait, that's not all. I also have a disco ball lamp; it's a disco ball base with a white shade on top.
"Disco ball lamp" by Hope
My favorite piece in my home is my disco ball lamp. It creates wonderful ambience with the light on or off! However, the piece I use most often are the lidded containers. I have two-one on my coffee table, the other in my bedroom. They're the perfect size for small items you need but don't necessarily want on display: hair scrunchies, batteries, stamps, a roll of tape, earbuds, a notepad and pen, etc.
"Lidded container" by Hope
From what I've observed over the past two or three years, I'm not alone in my love of disco balls. I've seen Christmas decor in disco ball form-reindeer, nutcrackers, etc. This past weekend I was in a home decor store and saw Halloween decor in disco ball form, specifically pumpkins and ghosts! I later found more disco balls in fall colors, and ombre of orange, pink, and purple colors. In fact, I picked one up that's red, silver, and blue, a clearance item left over from the Fourth of July!
"Disco fourth" by Hope
I've had these disco ball pieces in my home for a few years now. They've blended into my daily experience, sometimes going without notice. However, one day not too long ago, I couldn't help but notice.
One day, as I was getting ready for work, I opened the curtains in the living room for my cat Blues, so she can observe the world outside her window. Well, I got caught up in doing other things as I was preparing to leave for work, and didn't realize what was happening around me.
I suddenly looked up to find myself surrounded by hundreds of points of sunlight, scattered around my house. Where did that light come from? I thought to myself. The disco ball container! Of course! The sun had come out from behind the clouds, shone in my window, and hit the disco ball container in just the right spot to create an explosion of light in my living room!
I was awestruck by this explosion of light. That's the only phrase I thought to describe it, an "explosion of light." I was instantly surrounded by hundreds of points of light on my ceiling, walls, the entirety of my living room. It was as if my ceiling was the nighttime sky which had just experienced a big bang phenomenon, creating hundreds of millions of stars. It reminded me of the scene in "Ironman 2" where Tony Stark discovers a new element. He suddenly finds himself encircled in light. I marveled at the sight just as Tony did.
I was so shocked by this happening that I took several photos to capture the moment. I was astonished at the hundreds of points of light scattered throughout my house!
I can hear the questions now: "Why on Earth do you have an obsession with disco balls?!? What's the significance?"
It all started with a quote by Judi Holler: "A disco ball is hundreds of pieces of broken glass put together to make a magical ball of light. You aren't broken. You are a disco ball."
https://www.instagram.com/judiholler/
I love
that imagery of that metaphor. Life can lift us up, and likewise bring us down,
shattering us into a million pieces. But, those shattered pieced make us who we
are. Our shattered pieces make us beautiful.
So yeah. Disco balls are my thing. I use them to reflect light in my home, with the intention of peace, love, and light. That is all that is welcome in my home.
We're not broken, we're not damaged, we're not shattered. We are whole. And we're beautiful.
That was such an amazing moment to witness. I look forward to the next explosion of light.













Comments
Post a Comment