Atypical
Hello Luna,
How are you? How are things? How is Sally? Please give her my love.
Things have been atypical for me of late. I don’t know how else to describe it; I’ve never experienced a time like this in my life.
I recently traveled cross country to visit with family. We had a wonderful visit, despite my travel anxiety. When I returned home, I learned that a person in my social circle passed away suddenly.
In fact, I learned of three more deaths since I returned home from that trip, one of which was my age.
I am shaken by these losses, Luna. I’ve never experienced a sudden death before, one with no prior history of medical issues.
These have been dark days, Luna. It feels like we’re back in Covid times. Grief is exhausting. I feel the weight of these losses. I think we’re going through the world with heavy hearts.
I recently found grief therapist Megan Devine on YouTube. She has several videos that are quite helpful, including one on the physical manifestation of grief. Three of the signs are: disturbances in sleep, loss of appetite, and exhaustion. Lately I’m ticking every box.
While grief is exhausting and all encompassing, it’s also a wonderful motivator to ponder what we want out of life. What do we truly want? What is in our power to change? How can we improve our life? What would we change for the better?
*
When my mother passed away last year, I began a death edit in my home. The practice began in Sweden, if I'm not mistaken. The premise being, to declutter your home of excess possessions, to spare your loved ones from having to dispose of your belongings after you die. Also, with the climate change happening on the planet, many have had to evacuate their homes and belongings in short notice, due to a catastrophic weather event. What would I grab in the event of an emergency? What possessions can I purge to lighten the load?
I’ve begun another death edit, Luna. I'm being relentless this time round. I don’t need half of the stuff I have. I can donate my excess possessions to a local charity where it will do some good. I can live with less. Perhaps that’s the secret to living a life of abundance Luna: to not define abundance as possessions.
*
I’ve done a hard pivot, Luna. I crave peace. I long for comfort. Life has been all about comfort for me of late. Comfort food, comfort TV, Christmas music, cuddles with Blues.
I long to cuddle up in some Christmas fleece pajamas, enjoy a cup of hot chocolate, and bask in the glow of my spectacular Christmas tree. Of course, my area of the country is experiencing the hottest temperatures on record for this time of year, which doesn’t make it a good time to lounge about in polar fleece Christmas pajamas. So, I guess Christmas music it is. Maybe some Christmas movies as well. They’re going to be starting on Hallmark soon!
Well, I’ll let you go, Luna. Thinking of you, and hoping life is peaceful where you are. Take care, and be well.
-Hope
Comments
Post a Comment