Art for Art's Sake

I read an article the other day that greatly disturbed me; it was an article about a man being executed. His government accused him of many things, yet the definition of his guilt is open to interpretation. The crime he was put to death for-being a poet.

When I first saw this story I could not fathom it. A man was killed for being a poet. He was hanged for creating art, expressing himself, voicing his views and opinions. I remember staring at the computer screen. The information would not absorb into my brain.

I am an American-freedom of speech is a right that we hold dear. Yet this right is not exclusive to the U.S. This right is found in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and recognized as law in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. I am sure that the execution of this poet is not the first “punishment” of its kind. I wonder if his execution is in violation of this very law.

Hearing this story made me think about my life as an artist, my work. I am grateful that I have found a new voice in my writing. I am grateful I have writing as a means to express myself. I cannot imagine having my art used as evidence against me, proof enough to sign my death sentence.

My thoughts turn to other poets, filmmakers, songwriters, comedians, musicians and other artists who express themselves through art.  How different this world would be without opinion or satire, social or political commentary. We would not have the Beatles “Revolution”, Charlie Chaplin’s “ the Great Dictator”, Andy Warhol’s cans of soup, Bob Dylan’s “Blowing in the Wind.”

Is art a means of expression or an act of treason?  Are you an artist?  Would you be willing to die for the right to express your art?

Charlie Chaplin, "the Great Dictator"

"Campbell's Soup Can" (Tomato) by Andy Warhol




Comments