Life, Death, Art, Immortality

There was a sad turn of events recently; a family member died. I was not close to this family member, but the loss was felt by all. I traveled with members of my family for the funeral services.

In times like these, it is natural to think about our own mortality. At one point my family members asked me if I have made plans for my demise. Yes, I have made plans. I would like to be cremated, and have my ashes scattered in a beautiful place. I have not decided where yet. Maybe Paris. That way, if I never get to Paris, I will one day.

With all this talk and contemplation on death, I am reminded of something one of my online friends, an actor, told me once. He said that artists never die. Our work lives on long after we do. Through our work, we attain immortality.

To be truthful, I had never thought about it that way before. But yet I can see that it is true. With the examples of the films of Charlie Chaplin, the songs of John Lennon, the books of Maurice Sendak, the paintings of Van Gogh, art lives on.

I am not a writer, an artist, to achieve immortality. But I realize that, in my writings here, and when I publish my books of poetry, my words will live on forever. As long as the written word is relevant to human kind, I will survive.

I think back to the visitation for my family member. The room was filled with family. I wondered who will still be around when my time comes to go to heaven. I do not have a big family. I am not married. I have no children. I have nieces and nephews. There will probably not be a big gathering. I may not even have a visitation. Maybe a party instead.

Although it may not be a big event, I do not really need one. I do not need a room full of people to remember me. Eventually, those people will be gone themselves. Memories of me, of them, will be gone forever.

I did not realize when I became a writer that I would achieve immortality. However, I am comforted by it. I consider myself lucky and honored to have this gift.

When it is my time to go, I will know that I will live on through my words. I will know that I have been loved.

“I’ve no daughters 
I’ve no sons
Guess I’m the only one 
living in my life…
 -George Michael-
“You Have Been Loved”

Comments