Marriage Equality

Today has been a historic day for my state, Indiana. Today, after years of fighting for marriage equality, everyone in my state is allowed to get married. This is a victory for same-sex couples around my state, and a victory for everyone.

The fight for marriage equality came to a head in the last year in the state legislature. I did not get to attend any of the hearings on the issue, I did not testify before lawmakers. However I wrote letters to my legislators, and donated money to campaigns to bring about equality in my state.

As you may have read on this blog, I recently participated in my first gay pride parade. The topic of marriage equality was on everyone’s lips that day. As an ally, I am happy that equal rights have been granted to everyone in my state. 
I pray that the same rights are afforded to everyone around the world. When rights are denied to anyone in a society, everyone loses.

Congratulations to all of the warriors who fought for this victory-everyone who testified before the legislature, those who wrote letters, those donated money to the cause, everyone who made their voice heard on this issue. Thank you to everyone who did not have a stake in this fight yet stood up for the rights of others. Equality won, thanks to you. 

Congratulations to all of the couples who can now legally be wed, and for those whose marriages will now be recognized by Indiana.

Marriage equality has come to Indiana. At last.

http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/06/equality.html

http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2014/06/pride.html


“Liberty is freedom constrained only by our responsibility to respect the equal rights of others.”  -Dave Champion

"Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself."-Robert G. Ingersoll



"When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, 
we are all more free." -Barack Obama

"The future is on the side of equality."


"Straight Woman Ally With Gay Pride" by Esperanza Habla


Comments