Meditative Thoughts

Meditation is a concept that has always fascinated me. I saw a post recently from Iyanla Vanzant, minister and spiritual leader, about meditation. She wrote:
“Meditation is a process that stills the mind in order to facilitate sacred healing and growth. Meditation can and will order your thinking and therefore your mind. As we heal the broken and wounded places that exist in our hearts and minds, we grow mentally and emotionally. Mediation is, therefore, a tool for growth.

I have to admit, meditation is a concept that is foreign to me. I understand the purpose, yet I do not understand how to do meditate. To me, meditation means to calm the mind. My mind is always thinking, always active, always full of thoughts. As I watch a movie, I notice little parts that no one else seems to notice. When I listen to music, I analyze the instrumentation and harmony. As I drive home from work I watch the road while I’m wondering what I will have for dinner that night.

To quiet my mind is a monumental feat. I face this challenge every night as I go to sleep. I am always thinking about what happened during the day, what I need to do the next day, what I will do the day after tomorrow, how I will do this, how I will accomplish that, on and on. It is an infinite cycle. I often have to turn on music, or sounds of nature, to quiet my mind and hasten the journey to the land of nod. It used to be that I could not sleep with an ounce of noise. Some nights I cannot sleep without it.

I recently found a quote my Mark Twain that I relate to:
Life does not consist mainly -- or even largely -- of facts and happenings. It consists mainly of the storm of thoughts that is forever blowing through one's head.

That is how I feel, that I have storms of thoughts in my head. How do you attempt to calm a storm? How does one begin to meditate with those conditions?

I found another quote about meditation that speaks to me:
“Your mind is a constant traffic of thoughts, and it is always rush hour, day in, day out. Meditation means to watch the movement of thoughts through the mind.”
-Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

Perhaps that is the meaning of meditation, to watch the movement of thoughts, to observe the thoughts that flow through the mind. To be a writer is to be an observer, to process all information observed through thought. My charge is then to meditate on all I have observed, translate my thoughts into a new creation, a concrete work of art from my observations transmitted through thoughts. Thus my art continues to grow, as do I.

Thoughts beget observation of thought, which then begets further thought, and on and on and on. It is an endless cycle, if not a redundant one, of thoughts building upon another. It is like the cells in a nautilus shell, or the circles and spirals in an infinite mandala. It is at once constant and endless.

Perhaps that is my charge, to begin to meditate, to further understand all I see and observe and to then create from the stimuli received. I have heard the phrase, “A writer’s mind is always working.” I now understand what it means. It means to have meditative thoughts.

“Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel.
Never ending on beginning on an ever-spinning reel.
Like a snowball down a mountain or a carnival balloon.
Like a carousel that’s turning running rings around the moon.
Like a clock whose hands are sweeping past the minutes on its face
And the world is like an apple whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find in the windmills of your mind.”

-“Windmills of Your Mind”, Melody by Michel Legrand, English lyrics written by Alan and Marilyn Bergman.

Comments