Stressful Holidays

It is fairly common to have stress during the holiday season. However, it is not common for me to feel any stress during the holidays. I am the type of person that lives for Christmas. I usually buy Christmas presents for my friends and family all year long. Not this year. I have been so consumed with publishing my book that I have not had time to even think about Christmas. (For those of you who are waiting to buy my book, it will be available for purchase in early 2015.) I have no gifts for anyone to open. I am so far behind. I am not ready for Christmas, emotionally or otherwise. This is not like me.

I am usually more prepared for Christmas. I am always ready with my Christmas cards. I collect Christmas cards. Usually in July I go through all of my Christmas cards and pick which ones I want to mail out. Then, in November, I write a personalized greeting on the inside of the card. When I leave my home for the Thanksgiving holiday, I put my Christmas cards out to be mailed. Every year I use two sets of Christmas cards. I send one set out to family and friends, and I use a second set for my co-workers. It is a shame that Christmas is only once a year; I have so many gorgeous Christmas cards. 
I had some trouble getting my cards done this year. Truth be told, I had a hard time getting anything done for Christmas this year. I did get the cards out to be mailed on Thanksgiving. But that is all I have done to date.

I was even late in getting my Christmas tree put up. I normally put it up on Halloween. Now, I know that is exceedingly early to put up a Christmas tree. However, my cats, Jazz and Blues, have already destroyed one Christmas tree by climbing in it. I find that, if I put the tree up early, they have more time to see it, sniff it, and get used to it being there without attacking it and climbing the tree.

I was even at the point where Christmas music filled me with stress. A couple of weeks ago, before I had made out my Christmas cards, I listened to Christmas music in the car. I listened to my favorite secular Christmas songs….
               -War is Over (John Lennon and Yoko Ono)
               -Wonderful Christmastime (Paul McCartney)
               -Last Christmas (George Michael)
               -The Happy Elf (Harry Connick Jr.)

…as well as some newer classics….
               -Something in the Air (Grayson Sanders, Lauriana Mae, Jonathan O’Neal)
               -Winter Wonderland/Let It Snow (The Piano Guys)
               -It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Pentatonix)

After that, I was listening to other Christmas songs in my playlist. After a while, I could not do it. Listening to the Christmas songs made me feel considerable stress. I could not listen to it anymore. I had to listen to other music.

Now that the Thanksgiving holiday has passed, I do feel a little bit better about Christmas. I do not feel stressed as I used to. Of course now that it is past Thanksgiving it is the season to play Christmas music at my workplace. I love listening to music in what is normally a shrine of quietude. I am finally at the place where Christmas music does not bother me. Yet, 
I find I cannot listen to Christmas music in my car. I listen to anything else. I think that, if I did listen to Christmas music in my car, it would be too much. It would be a Christmas overload.

While holidays can be full of stress, some of that is self-imposed. I was feeling stressed for not accomplishing everything 
I wanted to accomplish this year. But everything will come in its time. Having anxiety about that is not going to help the situation. Stressing yourself out about the holidays is not helpful. We all need to relax and decompress and not worry about it. The holidays are going to happen whether we are prepared for it or not.

The holiday season is not about Christmas cards, presents, trees or the music. It is about taking time to gather with loved ones, to take a moment and reflect on all that we have, to be thankful for all we have been given. Those are the holidays 
I am looking forward to.





Comments