At Last

Dreams are a wonderful thing. They do not always come true. Yet, sometimes, they do.

As I began to write poetry and share it with the world, I had the dream of becoming a published author. I did not know how to begin, or what steps to take. Thankfully I had a conversation with a patron in my local library, a patron who is a writer and self-published author. He told me that yes it is possible, and that he in fact had done it.  That gave me the inspiration to publish my writing.

While I had the desire to be a published author, I did not know how to get started. I had heard stories of writers sending samples of their work to publishing companies, only to be continually rejected. That prospect did not appeal to me. 
I continued to do research, to weigh the pros and cons of each option, to self-publish or not. I found that, when signing with a publishing company, the company would take 20% or more of the profit off the top. Stores and distribution outlets would take another 30% of the profit. I decided to publish my poetry myself, so I could have total control of my books, and earn the majority of the profit. After all 70% profit is better than 50%. In order to publish my own work, I would need to start my own publishing business.

The self-published author I had been talking to advised me on the steps of starting my own business. His first piece of advice to me was to consult a lawyer on how to form a business. I met with a lawyer as part of a pro-bono event at my local library. He counseled me on the steps I needed to complete to start my own business. Within two weeks I had my own business. La Luna Press, L.L.C. was established in 2013.

After that, I began to research how to actually publish a book. I took an e-book class at my local library to find out more. The class talked about formatting the document, creating a book cover, setting the words on the page, using images, full color versus black and white, trade sizing, ISBNs and more. I had the tools I needed to help me continue my journey.

I did not know it then, but there were still a million small steps that lay in front of me. I knew the goal lay ahead-to be a published author. While had been given an outline of how to move forward, I did not have a map in front of me to mark my exact route. Seeing where I was on the map, and seeing my destination, I had to figure out how to get there on my own. 

There were many twists and turns in the road ahead of me. While I felt empowered to have total control of my book, it also felt daunting. I had to figure out how I was going to publish the book, what formats and fonts to use, choose an online seller, as well as investigate methods of printing. I had to purchase ISBNs, get a PCN, design the interior of the book, design the exterior of the book, create a website for my new publishing business, create a Facebook page for my business, establish a presence through social media, create a book trailer for the book, and more. 

It has been two years. In 2014 the book was released as an e-book. The paperback version of the book has been formatted, edited, scanned for errors and approved.

Ladies and gentlemen, I now present my book, "I am Hope", now for sale on Amazon:


The book is also for sale as an e-book, in PDF format, from the Silence Community store:

To celebrate the book launch, I am having an online event on Friday May 1, 2015 in Facebook. I would love for you to come. Guests will be able to win e-book copies of the book, gift cards, and autographed copies of the book. Here is the page for the event. I would love to have you attend.

I want to take the time now to say thank you to my friends C, S, A, L, for starting me on my writing journey.  I want to thank B, P, M, P, for your continued support and encouragement along the way.

I want to thank my family for helping me format the book, and for checking the proofs to make sure the books were accurate.

A final thank you to you, the reader. Thank you for helping me reach my destination. I would not be where I am today without you. 

Self-published author. That's me. My dream came true. At last.




© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

Comments