Lovely and Bittersweet

The following is a letter to a friend I have lost, a friend who lives in the moon.

Dear Sally,
            Hello my dear friend. How are you? How are things in the moon? I hope my friend Luna is taking care of you. I hope you and she are well.

            I have been thinking about you so much lately. We just passed the anniversary of your leaving us. I cannot believe it was four years ago. Many moments it feels like you left us yesterday.

            I know I have not written you in so long. Please forgive me. I feel like writing to you would be to bother you. I know you are in heaven with the Lord and probably love where you are. I feel like I should not write you and talk about Earthly things. I ask that you forgive me this selfish indulgence writing you this letter.

            Your name came up at last week.. I am part of an exciting new project at work: we are sorting through old photos over the history of our library. The photos date back to the 60s! I am gathering the photos and storing them on the computer to add to a digital collection.

As I was going through the photos, I found new a photo of you. Well, it is not a new photo, yet new to me. I had never seen this photo before. I remember leaning back in my chair in complete shock. I was stunned to see that picture of you. I immediately called out to a co-worker to let her know what I had found. She came over to look at the photo; she had never seen the picture either.

She and I then began to reminisce about you, your fight against cancer, your visitation and funeral. We talked about the myriad of photos in the slideshow at the visitation, as well as the gorgeous sunflowers on your casket. Your favorite flowers, the sunflower. Mine too. It made me feel so good to talk about you again. We shared stories, laughed over shared memories. But then the conversation ended, and you were still gone. It was such a lovely moment finding this picture of you. Lovely and bittersweet.

            So much has happened since you went to the moon. The dream I talked about is finally happening. I am within weeks of publishing the first book of my poetry. It has been such a long time coming. The first time I held the book in my hand, it was such a magical feeling. You will love the book. There is a special dedication in the front of the book just for you. I will be sure to send you an autographed copy.

            My friend, it is good to talk to you again. I miss you so much. I cannot thank you enough for coming into my life. Thank you for being my guardian angel, for watching over me from above. 

            Take care my friend. My regards to Luna.

                                    -E



Comments