For Paris


I was at work when I heard of the attacks in Paris. A person at work told me of the attack. I did not believe the news at first. They told me that over one hundred people were dead. “From what?” I asked, trying to understand what he was saying. Of course, my brain went to thinking it was a mass shooting scenario. But no, that was not the case. “From a terrorist attack,” the man replied.

When I arrived home that night, I watched the national news to find out more about what happened. Details were coming in of the attacks. I sat there in stunned silence, trying to understand what I was seeing on the television screen. To this day I still cannot fully understand it. 


I write this today to express my heartfelt condolences to the families of those who perished in the attacks on Paris last Friday, November 13. For those who survived the attacks, I am grateful you are here to tell your tale. Tell your tale, to everyone who will listen. Your stories give us hope. Your stories remind us how precious life is.

I want to thank the police, ambulance workers, and everyone who responded in the wake of the attacks. It is a rare breed of people who run towards a crisis, when everyone else is running in the other direction to save their lives.


On a personal note, I want to speak to my friends in Paris. I thought of you as soon as I heard of the attacks. I am thankful you are well. I am thankful that Facebook gave you a way to let us know you were safe.

Paris, the city of lights, may your light ever shine. The world is with you. We are one. We mourn with you. We join you in your thoughts and prayers. We pray this violence is never known again, in any corner of the world. 


"This is an attack on all of humanity and the universal values we share.”

-President Barack Obama

Image by artist Sandra Boynton


Peace symbol with the Eiffel Tower in the center by artist Jean Jullien

Comments