The Bully

We all have things that scare us. We all have our fears. Sometimes, our fears turn in to phobias. Whatever your fears and phobias are, I would not share them with anyone that you do not trust implicitly. People can tease you with this knowledge. People can taunt you, torment you, and bully you.

The word “bully” defined by the Oxford dictionary as a “person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker.” Yet the word bully can be a noun and a verb. Bullying, the acts of a bully, can be emotionally abusive as well as physically abusive. Bullies can appear as friends; they can come from the playground or the board room. Each bully inflicts their own special brand of intimidation and torment. People have even taken their own lives to escape the torment of their bullies.


Last week, I was in a big box store shopping for groceries. I decided to go to the Christmas section, to see what lights and greenery were on display. The day in question was before Halloween; as a result, I passed several aisles of Halloween candy, costumes, lights, and decorations. In the last Halloween aisle, I noted a woman with a shopping cart, her child standing in the back portion of the cart. The child appeared to be seven years old at most.

I found the Christmas lights and timers in the next aisle over, which was literally the last aisle in the store. I began to look at the few items that were on display. I then heard the mother, in the next aisle over, pointing out different Halloween items to her son. “Look Timmy, a mummy….look Timmy, a witch…” Every time the mother pointed something out to him, little Timmy replied, “No Mommy, I don’t like that. That scares me mommy.”

(Please note: I am referring to the child as “little Timmy” because I do not know the actual name of the child.)

The mother continued to point things out to her son, and he continued to make comments about how he did not like the item, or that it scared him. I then heard the mother gasp and say, “Look Timmy, a spider!”  My internal antenna went up when I heard this. The mother’s tone of voice when she said the word “spider” was palpable; I knew immediately that her son was scared of spiders. The mother would not have said that word that way otherwise.

Little Timmy then told his mother that he did not like the spider, and that it scared him. Within seconds I then heard the mother gasp and say, “It moves!!”, referring to the fake spider.

I then heard a motor being turned on. I then instantly heard little Timmy screaming at the top of his lungs, in abject terror. He was in the throes of a panic attack.

“Aaaah! I don’t like that mommy! Aaaahhh! Mommy stop it! Get it away from me! Aaahhh!”

The child was absolutely terrified of the moving spider. He did everything in his power to get his mother to stop. She did not stop. Instead she consciously chose to continue to torment her child.

Little Timmy continued to scream as his mother taunted him with the fake spider. I then heard his mother begin to laugh. 
I could not believe that she was amused by her son’s terror.

At this point, I decided to leave the area and continue with my shopping. As I made my way down the aisle, I heard the mother say to her son:

“That’s what you get for being bad.”

I could not believe what I had just heard. I knew she was consciously choosing to torment her child. However, I did not know that she would attempt to justify her sadistically traumatizing her own son by calling it “discipline.” I cannot imagine what that child would have done that would merit such a “punishment.”

As I continued my shopping, I heard the boy’s screams echoing throughout the store. By the time I arrived at the checkout area, near the front of the store, more than five minutes later, the boy had stopped screaming. Or perhaps I was too far away to hear his screaming.


From the moment that this incident began, I knew it would not end well. When the mother said the word “spider”, I knew something was going to happen, and that it was not going to be pretty. I recognized her tone of voice. I heard that same tone of voice when I was bullied as a child.

There are times when people speak in an ugly tone, speaking from anger and rage, from hate and torment, in a way that cannot easily be described. If I were to define the tone of voice the mother used in bullying her child, it would be "venomous." I heard that venomous tone many times as a child by my bullies; sadly I have also heard that venomous tone on the job, working with the public in customer service. It does not happen often, but it has happened.

When the boy began screaming in the midst of his panic attack, I instantly felt an anxiety in the pit of my stomach. The panic was familiar to me. I had panic attacks just like that when I was bullied as a child.

Panic attacks are awful. They can give you sweaty palms, thoughts of impending death and doom, shortness of breath, trembling, sweating, nausea, even heart palpitations. I have heard people say that they thought they were having a heart attack, when in reality, they were having a panic attack.


Driving home from the store, I could not help but think of the boy. I felt horrible that he was put through that torment. 
I felt bad that the mother chose to traumatize her son. I felt bad that the incident happened in a store, in public. I hoped that the mother didn’t purchase the fake spider, to bring her bullying home.

People should never be bullied, harassed and intimidated, taunted and teased, and tormented. For those that are, the scars last for years. While I was bullied over thirty years ago, I still remember the names of my bullies. But these were children I barely knew. I felt so bad for the child, knowing that his bully was his own mother. I wondered what the future would bring for him. I wondered if he was doomed to be bullied his entire life. I wondered if he would grow up to bully others as he had been bullied.

I used to say that there were two types of children in this world:


those that have been bullied

those that do the bullying

Now that I am an adult, I am sure there is the possibility that there is a third group of children, those who were never bullied and never bullied others. I would call this group lucky.

I have learned that it matters how we treat one another in life, and how we talk to one another. When I was a child, I was not like other children. I was quiet, I kept to myself, and I never really fit in with groups in school. When I was introduced into a new group, I remained very quiet. I kept to myself until I could get to know the children, to know if I would be safe. As I came to know other kids, I shared too much information with them, including my fears. If I had not told them what my fears were, they could not have intimidated and bullied me. 

Thankfully, my experience with bullies was never physical in nature. I was never physically assaulted or attacked by a bully. Also, the bullying was short lived. My parents got involved to protect me from my bullies when the school would not.

As I became a young adult, I maintained my methodology and remained quiet as I got to know people. Still, children my age teased me and treated me unfairly. I remember being harassed and taunted by other students. This happened for me my entire school career, from kindergarten to graduation. Yet I consider these comments to be under the labels of teasing and taunting, nastiness, rudeness, and ignorance. Not bullying. 

As I grew older, graduated high school, and moved on to college, I remained quiet in groups before I got to know someone. I later learned that my quietness turned many others off; I was told that I appeared to be self-involved and conceited. I was trying to protect myself, and yet I was accused of being arrogant and aloof, which could not have been farther from the truth.

For all of the bullying and comments I received growing up, adults never treated me that way. I got along better with adults than I did with children my own age. Adults did not want anything from me. I knew I was safe with an adult. I was never bullied by an adult.


What happens to children that have been bullied as they grow up? Many children grow up older and wiser, still bearing the emotional and physical scars of their bullies. Our scars make us better people; our scars make us who we are.

The time I was bullied had an effect on me. I remember always being worried about what people thought of me, my personal appearance, would my "friends" still like me if I share my opinions and thoughts. It took me decades to be the person I am now, a woman who is comfortable in her own skin. If someone does not like me or my physical appearance, 
I could not care less. If they do not want to be friends with me, that is their problem and none of my concern.

However, there are those that have been bullied that internalize their hurt and humiliation. Sometimes they lash out in anger, in fits of violence. In recent articles, it has been purported that all school shootings have been perpetrated by those who have been bullied.

“Being bullied and being rejected lead to feelings of isolation and powerlessness. 
In turn, victims often feel an intense desire and need to regain power 
and turn to violence as their remedy. This violence, coupled with 
a total lack of any empathy, makes for a deadly recipe.”
-Ross Ellis, founder and CEO of Stomp Out Bullying



The moral of the story, if there is one, is that, if you are being bullied, tell someone. Tell anyone. Tell everyone. If you are being bullied by a sibling, tell your parent. If you are being bullied by your parent, tell someone you trust. If you are being bullied at work, tell your supervisor. If you are being bullied by your supervisor, tell your manager. Do not stop until they do something about it.

If you are bullying someone, if you are the group or office bully, stop it. People are going through enough problems of their own without having to deal with your nonsense. Just stop it. It’s really that simple.

“Don’t laugh at me, don’t call me names.
Don’t get your pleasure from my pain.”
-Steve Seskin, Allen Shamblin




Comments