Hello Dear Friend

 "Hello Dear Friend"
(A letter to my friend Sally, in Heaven)

Hello Sally, dear friend.
How are you? How have you been? I hope you are well. I am fine. In fact, I am living the dream!

So much has happened in my life since I wrote you last year. Three days after I wrote you, I published my first book, “I am Hope.” I tried to get it ready to publish on my birthday, which was my original goal. However, it ended up being between my birthday and my Mother’s birthday. That was fine with me; it made for a nice birthday present for my Mother. Also, 
I published my second book two weeks ago. This book is the Spanish language version of “I am Hope.”

Life has changed so much for me in the last year. It means so much to me to see my dream realized, to actually be living this dream. To publish a book is a monumental achievement. To publish two books in a year makes me incredibly proud.

I have received many lovely comments about the book. Many people have spoken to me about how my poetry has changed how they felt, and, in some cases, how they have found validation in my words. That is a remarkable gift.

I have had some wonderful feedback about the poems that feature you. I have four of them in the book! You are found in the poems “I Miss You”, “Goodbye”, “6 Months”, and “Dear Sally.” I have had mutual friends comment that reading the poems took them back to the time of your passing. I have had others tell me that reading those poems has helped them in processing their own grief after losing a friend or loved one. It is remarkable to know my words of grief now serve a greater purpose.

I am glad that I published the poems about you in my book. At first, I was not sure that I should. Now, I feel it is a fitting tribute to you. I know that you live on in the hearts and memories of your friends and family. Now you live on within the pages of my book. People who never knew you will read about you forever. It is the only gift I can give to you, to truly thank you for our years of friendship.

I looked at the calendar today and could not believe it; I was shocked to learn that five years has gone by since you left us. 
I always remember today, the date of your death. Yet, I cannot believe that much time has passed. However, in another way, it seems so long ago.

I can remember the day you died. I can remember who answered the phone when we heard the news. I remember being called in to the office to be told of your passing in private. I remember talking to you in prayer that night. The experience adorns my memory forever.

My grief over your loss was supported by my friend S, who you will recall was a close friend to me at that time. Reading the poem he wrote you that night was bittersweet. It was heartbreaking to read, yet it gave me such comfort. That poem was a gift that night. Thank you for sending it to me.

I remember going with our friend A to your viewing, and seeing hundreds of photographs of you, displayed around the room. I still have some of the photos I took that day, photos on poster boards and television screens. The pictures of you spanned the years of your life, from childhood to your final battle with cancer.

I remember seeing your casket at the viewing, completely enveloped by sunflowers. I cannot look at a sunflower without thinking of you.

I remember the song I used to mention when I wrote you, “Shining Light,” by Annie Lennox. I remember the line, “You are a shining light.” That is what you were in my life, a shining light. That is how I think of you now, as a shining light, a guardian angel watching over everyone you knew and loved. I think of you every time I hear that song.

As I look to the future, I am eager to experience the wonders to come. I have more books of poetry to publish. You are in those books as well. I am excited about the future. I know you will be there with me.

Thank you Sally for our years of friendship, for watching over me, for shining your light my way.

Take care, dear friend. 




"Funeral Flowers" by Esperanza Habla

Comments