Activism

I began my life as a writer six years ago. There has been a marked evolution in me as a person, as a woman, as a writer, and as an artist. In looking back at my written work, I have recently discovered that I have evolved into an activist as well.

I have written on this blog about many issues I am passionate about. When something happens in the world that is unfair and unjust, I feel the need to write about it. I often think to myself, "I have to talk about this. I HAVE to talk about this. 
I cannot stay silent on this issue." It is a need within me unlike any other. I cannot have peace until I write my thoughts down and share my views on a particular issue. I feel I have a duty, a responsibility, to write.

When I saw an unjust law beginning in my state, I wrote about it.

When tragedy struck the nation, I felt compelled to speak.

When the United States of America chose a racist demagogue to be the next President, I could not stay silent.

 As long as art has existed, artists of every type have used their art for social commentary, as barometers of the social and political movements in world around them, to offer their views on the world, positive messages, to educate and inspire citizenry to take action.

I am reminded of countless examples in music, including Billie Holiday singing “Strange Fruit,” Bob Dylan singing “Blowing in the Wind,” Woody Guthrie singing “Pastures of Plenty”, Nina Simone singing “Mississippi Goddam.”

There are countless examples in art, from the graffiti of Banksy to the paintings of Francisco Goya, the photography of Charles Moore to the art of Norman Rockwell.
http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/dti/rendered/2015/04/0435586642_15075624_8col.jpg

I believe it is crucial for artists to create their art, to use their art as a means of self-expression, to inform the public at large about your point of view, to educate people about a certain issue, or to bring to light a human rights issue that is going on in the world. It is incumbent upon us as artists be activists, to use our artistic gifts to this greater good. In fact, there was an article about this last week in the Huffington Post ….

“In a world where the most recognizable piece of contemporary art is a musical about the sheer influence of immigrants in the formative years of this country ― a musical that’s revolutionized the way we view theater, the way we interact with political art and the way we perceive our nation’s past ― I hope every creative person is heeding the advice Morrison wrote after the reelection of George W. Bush. ‘This is precisely the time when artists go to work,’ she declared. ‘There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. That is how civilizations heal.’”- Lilly Workneh, editor of HuffPost’s Black Voices, quoting author Toni Morrison, referring to the musical “Hamilton”

Yet, speaking out about social injustice is not something that is reserved for artists alone. Everyone must stand for what is right, be free to voice their opinions, and be willing to stand up for the rights of others.

It is a turbulent time in the United States. There have been over 300 hate crimes in the last week across the United States. The Southern Poverty Law Center has been documenting all of the incidents.

In times of confusion and unrest, it can be hard to stand for what is right. There can be a fine line between speaking your mind, and standing up for what is right. Of course, there are also risks to personal safety to consider. I would never advise that anyone risk their personal safety in any way. Yet, there are ways to help one another.

There is currently a movement in the United States that began in Great Britain, involving common, everyday household item-safety pins. After England held a vote to leave the European Union, referred to as the “Brexit vote”, many in England disagreed with the passing of the law. They saw it as an anti-immigration law, which included that England would not be held to the same refugee and immigrant regulations as the rest of the European Union. This began a rash of anti-immigrant rhetoric and harassment throughout the country.

As a form of solidarity and silent protest, people in England began to wear safety pins on their shirts. For anyone wearing the safety pin, it meant that they disagreed with the law, and stood with immigrants and refugees in solidarity. It also meant that they would be willing to help an immigrant or refugee if they needed help.

Inspired by the safety pin protest in England, Americans have begun to wear safety pins on their shirts. Wearing the  safety pin symbolically stands as a silent-but visible-protest to the President-Elect and his racist views. It also means that the person wearing the pin is willing to help the marginalized in the U.S.-Muslims, Mexicans, Immigrants, the LGBTQ community, women that need resources for their reproductive health, the physically handicapped, and everyone else that was targeted in the last 18 months of the President-Elect’s political campaign.

Wearing the safety pin on your shirt is a sign of solidarity with the marginalized. However, it is also a call to action. If you wear safety pins on your shirt, you must be willing to act.

“It is a sign that you are a safe person. A marginalized person who is being harassed will look to you to help keep them safe. By wearing the safety pin you make a public pledge to be a walking, talking safe space for the marginalized. All of the marginalized. You don’t get to pick and choose. You can’t protect GSM people but ignore the Muslim woman who needs help. You can’t stand for Black people who are dealing with racial slurs but ignore the disabled person who is dealing with a physical attack.”
- Isobel Debrujah

If you witness someone being harassed, there are steps you can take to help. There is a wonderful video that shows what to do if you witness harassment:


*Do not be a bystander
*Film it and report it
*Stick around for the victim
*Tackle the culture of racism
*Actively fight racism

If you wear a safety pin in solidarity, you must also be willing to act to help any marginalized person at any time. You must be willing to do any of the five steps above, as long as it is safe to do so. 

It may be difficult for someone to imagine how a person wearing a sewing accessory on their shirt will have any impact on the world. But put yourself in another person’s shoes for a moment. What if you were a marginalized person, a person who needed help, and you saw the safety pin as a beacon of hope?

“Can you imagine, though, being a person living in rural America who feels afraid because of what half our country has just proven it is okay with– misogyny, racism, bigotry, hate crimes, rape culture, and homophobia?  For just a moment, even if you think it’s hogwash, put yourselves in the shoes of someone who is afraid right now because of who was just elected President and because of all the open hate that is beginning to be reported day after day… Do you know how much it would mean to the immigrant in Kansas busing your table, or a pregnant teen in North Carolina unsure of what to do, or the 25 black students in your 90% white school or your Muslim neighbor in Missouri to, in a quiet way identify you as a friend, as someone with compassion?  How about the woman who has to walk home alone at night knowing that our nation’s leader condones & participates in sexual assault?  Maybe your safety pin lets her know she can walk on your side of the street.”-Bethany Joy Lenz

I want to share a picture I took yesterday. It is me, wearing my safety pins. I have already had many positive comments about them.
"Safety Pin Solidarity" by Esperanza Habla

If someone does not know about the safety pins, having one on my blouse will not offend anyone. Yet for those who know what it means, I hope they see it and reach out to me. I pray I can be of help to someone that truly needs it.


I did not begin my career as a writer to become an activist. However, it is evident that I have become one. I pray we all be respectful of one another. I pray we learn that it is alright to have opposing points of view. I pray we can learn to respectfully disagree. I pray that the violence ends today. I pray that, in one way or another, we all begin to practice our own activism, for the greater good.

"Activism is my rent for living on the planet"-Alice Walker

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved





Comments