Lessons from 2016

I greatly awaited the arrival of this year. After the last Presidential election in the U.S., I felt that the year could not end fast enough. I continued to feel that as the news was filled with reports of celebrity deaths. Last year was awful, for a many of reasons. Throwing away last year's calendars brought me such joy. I hung this year's calendars with a newfound optimism.

As part of my yearly ritual, I do a year in review piece on the lessons I have learned in the past year. The last week of last year was not anything I was prepared for. As such, this list is a little late. However, the lessons are just as valid. Here then are the lessons I have learned from 2016.

Lessons from 2016

The music in a song satisfy the musician in me; the lyrics satisfy the writer in me

Trans rights are human rights.

It is a profoundly empowering moment to find out what you truly are and to boldly speak your truth.

Art doesn’t have to be perfect. But, I can try to make it as perfect as I can.

I pledge to maintain the sacred space in the pages of my books, and on this blog.

Am I the same person I was as a kid? Definitely not.

For an author, a book is their stage.

I always love writing my friend Sally, in the moon.

There is time for everything.

Our insight and vision can reveal amazing things.

Change can be a good thing. Even a radical change.

The pulse of the LGBTQ community beats stronger than ever.

I wish that I had seen the Strawberry Moon.

If my books are my children, I am a proud mother of three.

It is truly amazing what wonders turn up when we most need them to.

It can be a truly cathartic exercise, putting pen to paper.

It is important that everyone take time to relax and reflect from life and work.

It was an exhausting day, but it was an honor to be a part of history.

My first book talk went better than expected.

I hope we can all come to our collective senses and ban daylight savings time once and for all.

I am going to hate the next four years.

While I am going to hate the next four years, I am going to fight for the rights of others and take a stand for what is right.

We must take it upon ourselves to fill the season with comfort and joy.

It is important to give back.

It can be bloody heartbreaking when a celebrity dies. Especially one like George.

I look forward to the year that will be in 2017, and all of the lessons it holds. I pray we open our eyes and our minds to the lessons yet to be learned.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved










Comments