Until This Morning

This morning, in the wee hours of the morning, I had a cat join me on my bed. This is a common occurrence in my home. As the owner of two cats, this happens often in the early morning. 

There is a familiar thump on the bed that lets me know that a cat has joined me. This is then followed by a series of movements, including walking the length of the bed, or lying down in a spot close to me.
.

Most of the time, it is my orange tabby cat Jazz that joins me on the bed. She sometimes sniffs my nose, which is a form of kiss in the cat world, and finds a spot to lie down on the bed. Quite often she jumps up on the bed, and then makes a huge leap to the other side of the bed, jostling me out of my slumber.


"Jazz the Cat" by Esperanza Habla

However, I noticed a difference this morning. There had been a jump onto the bed, followed by complete stillness. 
I opened my eyes a bit to confirm what I already knew. It was not Jazz on the bed; instead, it was my black cat, Blues.


"Blues in Bed" by Esperanza Habla

Jazz and Blues are very different cats with distinct personalities. Jazz is very lively and demands affection. Blues on the other hand is more subdued in her demeanor and is openly affectionate.

Back to my early morning slumber, once I saw that it was Blues on the bed, I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. 
A few minutes later, I then rolled over to the other side of the bed, opposite Blues, and settled into a deeper sleep.

Within moments of my turning over, Blues decided to join me in my sleep. She lay down beside me, nestling into the small of my back.

I took notice of this immediately. Blues had never done this before. Jazz has not done it either.

Years ago, before Jazz and Blues came into my life, I had another cat, Calypso. She was a calico cat that had red, black and cream colors in her coat. She very often slept in the small of my back. She passed away six years ago.


"Calypso the Cat" by Esperanza Habla


When Blues nestled herself in the small of my back this morning, It gave me an immense feeling of comfort and peace. 
I then fell into a contented sleep, with Blues right by my side.

When an animal sleeps that close to you, nestles up to you, cuddles on your lap, or next to you, that is a sign of trust. It is a feeling of complete trust and love.

When I woke up this morning, I awoke in a state of peace. I then realized I had not experienced that feeling since Calypso passed away six years ago. I had not thought about it. I honestly did not think I would ever feel that feeling again.

And I have not. Until this morning.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

Comments