Lessons from 2017

Another year has come and gone. I had a wonderful Christmas season. I put up my Christmas tree a few days after Halloween, which, believe it or not, is late for me. I have relished in the soft colored Christmas lights on my own tree as well as in light displays near my home. I also marked the holiday season by indulging in my favorite winter treat-hot chocolate. It doesn’t get any better than that.

For the Christmas holiday, I took a trip to the East Coast to visit the members of my family that live there. For the family members that weren’t able to attend, we reached out by phone and text.

While I had a wonderful Christmas season, it was the high point of the year. So many horrible things happened last year, all around the world. It feels good to stand in the New Year, to have moved on from 2017. Still, I feel it only right to look back on the year, to think about all that happened in the year, to contemplate the lessons I have learned. Here then are the lessons from 2017….

Lessons from 2017

-There are many people that are in opposition to the current President of the United States. We are known as members of the resistance

-I have gotten used to my new way of life, which, in a way, is how I have lived my entire life-as a demi

-If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is when people paint with broad brushes

-There are few things as precious to me as a writer as is the golden circle

-This has been a year of empowerment for women, from the Women’s March to the Me Too movement, to a complete social change in Hollywood and throughout the world. On International Women’s Day, I thought it the time to share some words from my favorite poet, the late Maya Angelou, who wrote on the magnificence of womanhood

-I was right all along. Music is in my DNA

-Animals can touch us in ways that can be both meaningful and immediate

-Whether we are aware of it or not, we speak our own unique language of dreams

-After the massacre at the Pulse night club, it was incredibly important to me to participate in my local Pride parade

-When you read a book, you are engaging in conversation with the author

-What a wondrous opportunity to view a solar eclipse

-Twenty years later, it is still the trip of a lifetime

-We can have differing points of view; we can also agree to disagree. However, no one has a license to hate. Especially the President.

-As a demisexual, I fit into the “queer” category, the “G.S.D.” category, the asexual category, and the plus category of the LGBT. That’s an interesting place to be

-Purple is a regal color that also embodies creativity, community, and womanhood. To my way of thinking, Ultra violet is the perfect color for the year of 2018

-Every full moon of every month of the year has a different name and meaning behind it

Here’s a toast to the New Year, to the lessons yet to be learned in 2018.



Comments