Christmas Bliss


I finally have some time to myself. Four days off from work. In a row.

Two days off in a row is a wonderful thing. Four days off in a row is a miracle.

I finally have time to be by myself, in my home, to do anything I want. Or nothing I want, as the case may be.

I don’t have to be anywhere; I don’t have any errands to run. I am completely free.


The first thing I should do is decorate my Christmas tree. I didn’t even decorate my tree last year. The tree is so beautiful, without ornaments, that I decided not to decorate it. Besides, I was away for Christmas last year. No sense in decorating a Christmas tree without being home to enjoy it.

I put the Christmas tree up the weekend before Halloween this year. I always try to put the tree up on Halloween as 
I detest Halloween. Last year I was a few days late. This year, why not be a few days early?


Whenever I put up the Christmas tree, I usually put it up on a weekend I'm off work, so I can be home in case my cats, Jazz and Blues, decide to attack the tree. Thankfully, there have been no incidents regarding the tree this year. Jazz absolutely loves the tree, and takes naps under the tree, on the ushy cushy comfortable tree skirt. Blues could care less.


Let me get my ornaments out and turn on the tree. One of the wonderful things about my Christmas tree-it’s on a rotating base. It keeps the cats in check, as they cannot attack a spinning tree, and it’s wonderfully easy to decorate. This way, every side of the tree gets decorated. There's no "back side" or "wall side" of the three that doesn't get ornaments. Plus it adds a touch of ambiance, decorating the tree with its lights aglow.


There, the tree looks lovely. I’m so glad I chose shatter proof ornaments for the tree. They add a lot of depth and texture and color.

Let me turn on the garland on the mantle. That looks lovely. You know, some of these extra ornaments would look amazing in the garland.

There we are. The house is complete. Everything is bedecked for the holidays. It looks amazing, if I do say so myself. Time to sit back, relax, and take it all in.


You know, there’s something missing. I know what it is: a cup of hot chocolate. That would be perfect. I just happen to have some. Let me go make myself a cup.

I cozy up on the couch with my cup of hot chocolate. Almost on cue, my cat Blues jumps up on the couch. “Hi there girl. You want to sit with mama?” 

I put a blanket over my lap, so I’ll keep warm, and so she’ll have something cushy to lie on. She makes herself comfortable on my lap. I then spy Jazz, nestled under the tree, having a snooze.


I turn on the television, and go to the Hallmark Channel. I’m sure to find a Christmas movie on Hallmark. They started airing their Christmas movies the weekend before Halloween, when I put up my tree. This movie looks good. This will do.

I scratch Blues’s head lovingly, and I take a sip of hot chocolate.


AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, there we are. Perfect. Couldn’t get any better.

A cat on my lap, the other cat dozing beneath the tree, Christmas tree aglow and decorated, hot chocolate in my hands, Christmas in my heart.

Christmas bliss.


"Christmas Bliss" by Esperanza Habla


Comments