Silver


I have had an anniversary of late.

Not a wedding anniversary, no.

Not a birthday.

Still, a significant date, on the calendar, in my life.

It was, of all things, a work anniversary.

This past month I received an award for years of service to my library system: Twenty-five years of service.

25 years. A quarter of a century.


Upon hearing the term “anniversary”, it is natural to think of wedding anniversaries. There are proper gifts to give couples once they are married. For a first year of marriage, an anniversary gift should be made of paper. A second anniversary, the gift would be cotton. For a twenty-fifth anniversary: silver.


It is a rarity indeed, to achieve twenty-five years of service in one job for one company or organization. Back when I started my career, in the economy of the time, it was a normal happening. Long before the creation of the 24 hour online workplace, workers would start a job, work for that company for twenty, thirty, forty years or more, and then retire from that company with full benefits as well as a token of achievement. It was not unusual at all to have a person reach this milestone, and beyond.

However the world has changed drastically in twenty-five years. National economies are now a part of a global economy. Many people switch jobs and companies over the years. A person could potentially work for 25 companies in as many years.


It is also a rare phenomenon for someone to reach this milestone, taking my age into consideration. I began working while a student in college, years before graduation.
I have not yet reached 50 years of age. For someone who is not yet 50, to have 25 years of service in at the same company, that is rare indeed. It is so rare in fact that the word “rare” doesn’t seem sufficient.


In subsequent days after receiving my award, friends inquired about my possibly feeling old, upon receiving this award. "Absolutely not," I replied. "I’m looking forward to early retirement!" 

It is an unusual feeling, having made this accomplishment.

Nothing changed from one day to the next.

Yet, something did change. There was a difference.


I do feel a change within. I’ve done my job for 25 years and intrinsically know what I’m doing.


To achieve this milestone would be like a professor being granted tenure at her university. She’s taught classes for years, been a dedicated worker for decades, and is now being rewarded for her efforts. It’s as if she’s now in an elite group of professionals. She’s treated differently, and even looked at differently.


I'm not just a worker, not just a staff member manning the desk, not just a warm body.

I'm a librarian with twenty-five years of experience, personally fulfilling the mission of providing materials and serving as an educational source for the community.

I wear my service to the library, to the community, as a badge of honor.

Clad in silver.





Comments