COVID week 9

Do The Change

Hello there friend, how are you? I hope that you and your family are home and safe and well.  I am writing on week 9 of the COVID crisis, day 62 of sheltering in place.

I received news this week that I will be returning to work in the coming days. While I am beyond grateful to have been paid in this time outside of work, and that I have a job to return to, I find myself feeling nervous about my city opening up again for business as usual.

That being said, I know that it will not be "business as usual" at all. We are returning to work, and to society, in what can only be called a new normal. Virus cases will undoubtedly rise, as will the numbers of those that have passed. I remind myself that about 85% of those that contract the virus survive it, and that a positive diagnosis is not a death sentence.

Two months into this pandemic, I have been, luckily, thankfully, unscathed. I have not contracted the virus, as far as I know. I have a job to go back to, and money in the bank. I can afford to order groceries, have them shipped to my home. I can afford to order a meal from a local restaurant as a treat, and to give the delivery driver  a generous tip. I am a small business owner, yet have not been impacted by this time. I am exceedingly blessed, and I know it.

I have taken time to reflect on the past two months, and think about this unprecedented time.  Thoughts of the past few weeks naturally become thoughts about the future. What will the future look like? What will the workplace look like? How will my life change? How will society change? How will the country, the world, change?

In writing this, it is obvious that the key word I have been contemplating is “change.” Many fear the uncertainty inherent in change, while others welcome new possibilities. I find myself in both those categories, and feel cautiously optimistic for the future.

There is a quote that has resonated in my mind the last few weeks:

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”-Mahatma Ghandi

Be the change? How does one be the change? To me, that can only be done through our actions. So I have adapted the quote:

Do the change that you wish to see in the world.

As blessed as I have been in this time, I only feel it right to give back.

Last week the United States had a celebration: Giving Tuesday. Normally celebrated in November, the day is a time that promotes charitable donations. So many in the U.S. are hurting right now, with over 30 million Americans having declared unemployment. As a means of helping people now, the day was moved up to help those in need.

I have been watching several videos on YouTube during this time, including "The Ellen Show" and "The Tonight Show" with Jimmy Fallon. They have been talking to celebrities and highlighting charities they work with and feel people should know about. 

I have compiled a list of several organizations that need help in this challenging time. I also have YouTube videos to view, so you can hear for yourself why the organization is worthy of a donation.

In thinking about my blessings, I feel it important to give back. If you are in a position to do so, please consider making a donation to the charity of your choice. The smallest amount can bring about the biggest change.

-World Health Organization-one of the largest organizations fighting the virus globally

-Quarantine Wine-Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis-Proceeds go to four organizations:
        *Give Directly
        *Direct Relief
        *Frontline Responders Fund
        *America's Food Fund

-All it Takes-Shailene Woodley-organization that works to build empathy in children. In the COVID crisis, they help people in dealing with anxiety and mental health

-World Food Programme-Kate Hudson-before the pandemic, the WFP, a United Nations organization, fed up to 100 million people around the world. After the pandemic, it is expected that they will have fed a quarter of a billion people around the world.

-Yellow Feather Fund-Sesame Street organization-In addition to their global initiatives for families, they have begun providing resources to help families and children in this unprecedented time. 


-Actor’s Fund-The fund helps people in the entertainment industry across professionals the United States. Theater productions around the country, movies, television shows, have all been shut down for months, and will continue for months to come. The Actor's Fund helps professionals in the entertainment business throughout their life, not just in this time of the pandemic. I read an article this week that stated the fund has seen a $10 million deficit in the last 8 weeks.

-CORE-Community Organized Relief Effort-Sean Penn founded CORE in 2009 to help people in Haiti rebuild homes after a devastating earthquake. CORE is now testing people for COVID-19 in the biggest hot spots in the country: Detroit, New Orleans, and the Navajo Nation. 

-Frontline Foods-Octavia Spencer, Melissa McCarthy-This organization is now in 55 major cities in the United States. FF provides meals to those on front lines of the COVID crisis, ordering food from local restaurants. It helps keeps small restaurants open, and provides sustenance and support to local medical personnel. Donors can choose to donate in the nearest major city to them, or to the national fund to provide meals in under served areas of the country.
Protect the Sacred-Mark Ruffalo-this organization helps to empower youth and to protect the elders in the Navajo Nation, which is the third largest COVID hot spot in the nation

-The Hotline-As people are quarantined around the country, rates of domestic violence are on the rise. The National Domestic Violence Hotline is a resource that can be accessed online or by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

-New Story-For the past nine weeks, I have been quarantined in my home. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be homeless at this time. This organization endeavors to end homelessness around the globe. They are the first company to produce the first community made entirely of homes constructed through the use of a 3D printer.

The charitable organizations listed here are but a few of the worthwhile organizations that need help at this time. If you would prefer to give to organizations in your community, consider food banks, domestic violence shelters, hospitals, animal rescue organizations, local first responders organizations.


 I leave you now with some great music as well as images with humor and hope.

Take some time. Think about all you've survived. Give thanks a for all that you have. Consider making a donation. Or more than one.

Make a difference. Do the change.

Yours truly in a face mask



























Comments