Creating a Destiny

Life is an amazing thing. It moves by so quickly. With that in mind, I thought I would give you an update on things since I wrote “ My Story”:

Things have been going well.  I began this blog last December. My reason for changing blogs was ease of use for you, the reader. This blog has over 60 languages. You can select the language you want, and have my poetry translated into your language. To date this blog has had over 5,100 visitors.

As I have grown as a poet and an artist, I began to think about publishing my work. I have done much research on the subject. I have decided that the best way to publish my poetry is to do it myself.

I have been working on compiling my poetry for months, getting it ready for print. The books are now in the editorial stage. There are 4 books in all that I want to publish: two in English, two in Spanish, in print and electronic format.

I have also been building a website for my new publishing company. There are a few things missing; however, those are details that will come with time.

Yesterday I met with a lawyer to discuss how to create my own publishing company. He gave me a list of things to do. “First you need to do this, and then you need to that.” The meeting with the lawyer was free through my local library. It saved me hundreds of dollars. That meeting was just one of the steps I am taking on this journey. 

Things are now moving forward at an amazing speed. My company should be ready in about a months’ time, and the books should be ready to print then as well. I hope to have the books available for purchase this fall, or around Christmas time.

Beginning this new venture in my life, this new adventure, I feel like I am on a thousand mile journey. My journey has begun, and I am only a quarter of the way. There will be many steps on this journey, many obstacles to overcome, many dragons to slay. 

I feel like I’m not just creating a business. I’m not just creating a publishing house. I’m not just becoming an entrepreneur and publisher. I’m not just publishing books of my poetry. I’m creating a destiny.

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

"Esperanza Rising" by Pam Muñoz Ryan. Cover art by Joe Cepeda. Scholastic Publishing

Comments