Respect


In the past week, there were two court cases brought before the United States Supreme Court, having to do with equal rights. More specifically, these cases were about legally recognizing marriages on a federal level for homosexuals, a right currently only afforded to heterosexuals.

These cases appearing before the court created a dialogue in the US about gay marriage, between those in favor of it and those against. As with many issues, it is an important issue to discuss. As I perused social media last week, there were many statements that were uplifting and positive. However, there were many comments that turned the debate into an ugly, negative, insulting, hateful discourse. From people on both sides of this issue.

Reading those comments was disturbing to me. I had a visceral reaction. It was as if I was listening to an argument that got more heated and vicious with every word. I eventually logged out of social media and went on to other things. I could not read another word.

Regardless of the issue up for debate, we have the right to express our thoughts, beliefs, opinions. If you do not share my opinion or belief, that is fine. We can agree to disagree. I will respect your opinion, and I expect that you will respect mine.

That is the key to the expression of such passionate issues-respect. To express your opinion is one thing. To be negative or insulting when someone disagrees with you, or challenges your opinion, is another.

I don’t have the right to be disrespectful, ugly, hateful in my comments to another human being for any reason. Neither does anyone else.

Respect is given where respect is given.

© Esperanza Habla  All Rights Reserved


Comments