Equality

Last September I participated in the 100 Thousand Poets for Change, a global event to bring about positive change. 
I titled my submission “Change”, which seemed apropos for the event. Here then is my poem, “Change.”

There are many issues facing this world that I could have chosen to write about today-gun control in the United States, the effects of global warming, the children soldiers in Africa, war, genocide, hunger, poverty, literacy, racism, tolerance, coexistence, and more. All of these topics are valid and need a voice in the world, and need to be discussed. I have decided to talk about my views regarding a topic that is making headlines all over the world, that includes some of the previous categories. It is a civil rights issue, a global issue, and one that needs to be discussed. My topic of choice today is same sex marriage.

Many people have strong views on homosexuality, some religion-based, some fear based. I am not going to write anything here today that will change your mind about that issue. You have the right to your opinion, whether I share your opinion or not. However, if you are opposed to same sex marriage, I hope you will open your heart and mind just enough to listen to what I have to say.

Regardless of your view on homosexuality, it must be understood that the issue of same sex marriage has nothing to do with religion. This is not a religious issue. This is a civil rights issue. The people of the world deserve to have their civil rights preserved, regardless of who they go to bed with. The rights of all citizens of the world need to be upheld, regardless of who someone decides to share their life with.

Around the world people are fighting for this basic human right every day. This is not just about standing in front of an altar and making a vow before God. There are many rights, benefits to marriage-financial, insurance benefits, even visiting people in hospitals that same sex couples are not afforded.

People should have the right to marry whoever they want, whatever sex the person may be. Nothing should stand in the way of that-no person, no dogma, no politician, no government.

You have every right to marry the person you love. Period. End of sentence. This is not and should not be a question of religion or politics. It is a question of rights. Basic, human, equal rights.
***********************************************************************************************************
In the 1990s the U.S. created a law that stated that marriage is defined as between a man and a woman in the eyes of federal law. Because of this law, every homosexual marriage in the U.S. was denied the benefits, insurance coverage, financial benefits, and tax return standards afforded to all heterosexual marriages in the U.S. Immigration was also under this law as well; married people with spouses from other countries were not afforded the same immigration statuses or benefits. Many were in the process of being deported when the law was overturned.

Service members in the U.S. military were affected as well; the law denied military members to acquire married housing, even to be notified upon the death of their spouse. In these ways and many others, this law was punitive and discriminatory against homosexuals in the United States. It made every gay person in the U.S. a second class citizen.
 
Until this week. This past Wednesday, the U.S. Supreme Court found that law illegal because it discriminates Same-sex marriage is now federally recognized. Lives were instantly affected in the overturning of this law.

I learned that the gay rights movement began 44 years ago in the United States. This verdict was a huge victory in the gay rights movement, and for the country. Everyone should have equal rights. Thomas Jefferson stated in his Declaration of Independence that “all men are created equal.” ALL are created equal. Regardless of country of origin, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation. ALL are created EQUAL.

Last night in the state of California, wedding bells began to ring. Same-sex couples from across the country began to get married. Last night, on a cable news network, I witnessed the wedding of a same-sex couple, plaintiffs in the case before the Supreme Court. Watching their wedding filled me with joy. It was very emotional, highly deserved and full of love.
I will always remember that day, Wednesday, June 26, 2013. The day when my friends who are homosexual have the right to get married and have it recognized legally, by their state and by their country.

I am proud that my government has righted this wrong, that they have seen the level of discrimination in this law. I am proud my country did the right thing. I am proud that we no longer discriminate against anyone, for any reason. I am proud that we have equal rights for everyone. I am proud that the U.S. government believes in the words
 “all men are created equal”, and that they are not just words on paper.

 Marriage equality has come to the U.S. It is here to stay.

I am a Christian, I am straight, and I am proud to be an American.



 


 

Human Rights Campaign:


Comments