Photo Shoot

The whole thing was new to me, having a photo shoot.

I do not always like to get my photo taken. Often I am very self-conscious about it. But there I was, having a photo shoot. And it was my idea.

I remember telling my friends I was having a photo shoot. The friends I told are all performers-actors, models, mimes, clowns. They are used to being in front of the camera; it is part of their livelihood. I remember these friends asking me, “You? What do you need to do a photo shoot for?”

It is only natural that they should ask me. It makes sense when you think about it. I’m a poet, a writer, a publisher. An artist. Why would a poet need a photo shoot?

“Well, I need a photo for the back of my book, an ‘author shot’ if you will, photos for my website, photos to use for my publishing business, for promotional purposes, etc.” was my answer.

I remember feeling so self-conscious when the photo shoot began. It was so foreign to me. “Look this way. Look that way. Turn your head. Lower your chin. Tilt your head to the left. Now the other side. Smile. Less teeth,” my inner monologue. I felt posed, not at all natural. I lacked modeling skills, and it showed.

Within minutes I felt different. The photographer put me at such ease. It was a collaborative effort; the photographer asked for my ideas and input on locations and framing shots. I was not just standing there and posing, I was an active participant. 

As the shoot went on, I found that I enjoyed myself. I really had fun going around different locations, posing and smiling for the camera. I found my inner model, my inner diva, and just had fun with it.

In looking at the completed photos, it shows. The photographer made me feel great; she really brought out the best in me. 

Here then are some of the photos from my first photo shoot. 




To see the rest of the photos, click here….

© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved



Comments