A Year of Giving

Earlier this year I wrote about  being purposeful in acts of kindness. My plan was to donate $10 a month for every month of this year to a worthwhile organization, to a cause I believe in. I wrote about my motivations for such a plan, which you can read here:
http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/01/acts-of-kindness.html#!/2013/01/acts-of-kindness.html


In June of this year I wrote about the contributions I had made up to that point. You can read that list here:
http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/06/pay-it-forward.html

This week, I completed my year of charitable contributions. I would like to share this with you. Again, I am not posting this information to boast about my charitable giving. I only post it in the hopes of sharing information, shedding light on causes and issues that I feel are important and worthwhile, and share information about the organizations. Here are the organizations I made monetary donations to:


Americans for Responsible Solutions: This organization was created by Gabby Giffords, U.S. Congresswoman and Mark Kelly, her husband, a U.S. astronaut. In 2011, Gabby was shot in the head at a political rally. She and twelve others were hurt, six were killed. To this day, Gabby is recovering from her injuries. Her survival has become a symbol of intolerance to such shootings. Like many around the world, I have been horrified to hear about any mass shootings, in the last decade, in the last few years. I recently wrote about the issue of gun control:
Last Monday, thirteen people were killed in a mass shooting in the Naval Yard in Washington D.C. Last week, thirteen people were shot in the city of Chicago, including a three year old child. Miraculously, no one lost their life in that incident. Also last week, in my city, there were four shootings in one night.  The next night, a police offer was killed in a shooting, less than a mile from my house. Mass shootings are becoming commonplace events in the U.S. and around the world. This need not be. Enough is enough.
 
Human Rights Campaign: This organization fights for equal rights for homosexuals and transgendered individuals concerning marriage equality, job equality, and many other issues. This June the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that marriages of homosexual couples are legal under federal law. I wrote about the court’s decision:
While the court ruling declares marriages of same-sex couples federally legal, it is not legal in all states. I live in a state where such a marriage is illegal. Thus I made a similar contribution to an organization in my state, to ensure that marriage is legal for all of its citizens.
 
 
K9 Parish Comfort Dogs: This is an organization of dogs and their owners who travel across the country to comfort those in need. After tragedy, it often helps victims to decompress from what has happened to them, by spending time with a dog. This video shows the dogs and the work that they do:
The dogs went to Newtown, Connecticut, after the children and teachers were killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. They went to Oklahoma after the state experienced devastating tornadoes. The dogs went to Boston after the bombing of the Boston Marathon, to comfort survivors of the bombing. All the dogs wear a vest that shows their name. The dogs carry business cards with their name on it, as well as their Facebook page and e-mail address. Those who have been helped by the dogs are welcome to take a card, and keep in touch with the dog they spent time with. The comfort dogs make a difference in the lives of everyone they meet.
 
Save Japan Dolphins: This organization was created by Ric O’Barry. The organization was formed to stop the practice of capturing dolphins for placing them in zoos and aquariums, as well as to:  “put an end to the Japanese drive fishery slaughter of dolphins.” The work of the organization has been featured in the movie “the Cove”. After seeing the following video, I was compelled to make a donation:
 

Cookies for Kids Cancer: Gretchen and Larry Witt began this organization after their son Liam was diagnosed with cancer. Sadly, Liam did not survive his battle with cancer. But the Witts are determined to increase funding for child cancers. To support this organization you can hold a bake sale in your city, with all proceeds going to Cookies for Kids Cancer. Also, you can order a batch of their gourmet cookies, or you can make a monetary donation and be a good cookie.
 

Family Promise: This is a homeless shelter located in Phoenix, Arizona. They have partnered with the Petsmart chain of stores to make a truly unique facility. When families are going through the transition of being homeless, often times they must abandon their family pets. However, at Family Promise, families in this time of transition are allowed to bring their pet. The facility has veterinary personnel on site to care for the animals, and the family gets to spend time with their animals. When a family is at the facility, their spirits are lifted to have their pet with them; it serves as a motivator to the families to find a permanent home where they can be reunited with their pets.
 

Kickstarter: Kickstarter is a fundraising organization that helps artists fund their creative endeavors. Writers can ask for help to fund the publishing of their books, filmmakers can ask for donations to help get their movie made. The projects on Kickstarter are varied and many. Although technically not a charity, people can pledge a project on Kickstarter, at different monetary levels, and receive incentive gifts for their monetary contribution. Helping a person’s creative dream come true-what could be better?http://www.kickstarter.com/
I gave 10 Euros ($13.50 U.S. dollars) to help fund this movie:
 
Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture. This was my final charitable contribution this year. I heard about the museum from a recent commercial on television:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDREXRahgRA
Upon seeing this video, I knew I wanted to get involved. I made a $25 contribution to the museum to become a charter member. The museum should be open for visitors in 2015.


 
In summary, here are the organizations I gave to this year:
The American Cancer Society
The Susan G. Komen Foundation
The Michael J. Fox Foundation
Planting Peace
The American Red Cross
The World Wildlife Fund
Fair Indigo
Americans for Responsible Solutions
Human Rights Campaign
K9 Parish Comfort Dogs
Save Japan Dolphins
Cookies for Kids Cancer
Family Promise
Kickstarter
Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
 
That is my year of giving. Now that all is said and done, I am glad I did it. I chose to donate $10 a month. It was an amount I could afford, one that was well within my budget, and at an amount that would genuinely do some good to these organizations. I chose organizations that are working on an issue I care about, working to further a cause I believe in.
.
I hope this has inspired you, or at least made you think about what causes you might contribute to. Donations do not have to be in the form of money; you can volunteer at an organization for a day, donate your time, and your talents.
.
What are you passionate about? What excites you about the world we live in? What upsets you? What would you like to change? Which causes would you support?
.
One of the benefits of helping others is that we ourselves benefit in the giving. If each one of us chose to make even one charitable contribution in a year, that would make a difference. If we made a contribution for every month of the year, the results would be vast. The positive change in the world would be enormous. Everyone would benefit. What a wonderful world that would be.

 
 "No one has even become poor from giving"-Maya Angelou
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Comments