Tolerance

Today marks the One Hundred Thousand Poets for Change. This is a global event, which also includes musicians, performance artists, mimes, poets, and artists of every description. Over 100 countries are participating, through poetry readings, demonstrations, festivals, and countless other celebrations. The goal of this event is to bring about tangible, positive change, to benefit our communities and our world.
http://www.100thousandpoetsforchange.com/

In thinking about this event, I have been thinking about the issues I am passionate about…
Marriage equality:   http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/06/equality.html

Gun violence: http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2012/12/enough-is-enough.html#!/2012/12/enough-is-enough.html

Racism: http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/08/alike.html#!/2013/08/alike.html

Justice: http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/07/justice.html#!/2013/07/justice.html

Body acceptance: http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/07/pursuit-of-beauty.html#!/2013/07/pursuit-of-beauty.html

Charitable giving: http://letrasalaluna.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-year-of-giving.html#!/2013/09/a-year-of-giving.html


To be completely honest, I have given this event much thought. There are not many topics that I am passionate about that I have not already written about. I have finally decided on a topic, one that is similar to other poems I have written, that of tolerance.
.

Tolerance is defined as a fair, objective…attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.” (Wikipedia definition)
Tolerance is a much needed attribute in this world. We must have it in this world, both within ourselves and within our relationships with others.
.

I find that I cannot talk about tolerance without talking about its opposite, intolerance. Let me give you an example…

A few months ago, I had a discussion with a co-worker about marriage equality. My position is that I am in favor or equal rights for all, regardless of age or gender, regardless of religious beliefs or lack thereof, regardless of color or sexual orientation. The statements my co-worker made let me know that he definitely felt the opposite. I expressed my opinion, he expressed his. When he was done talking, I said to him: 
“I can tell you are passionate about this issue. I do not agree with anything you just said. But I thank you for sharing your views with me.” He then continued to talk to me, to try to convince me that I was wrong and that he was right. I again told him I disagreed, and again thanked him for telling me how he felt. I did not agree with my co-worker’s views, but I did not try to change them; I was tolerant of his views and opinions and beliefs. He however was intolerant of my views and opinions and beliefs, and tried to change my stance on the issue to match his.


Another example: I have been learning the Spanish language for three years now. To look at me, you would not think I know a word of Spanish. But I am learning Spanish, and use it every day to speak with clients in my library. It makes me proud that I can help bridge the language gap in service, both in advertisements for library programming, and in communicating one on one with a client. I find that people are surprised to learn that I know Spanish; the clients who I have helped in Spanish are always very appreciative for the help, and for the service. I have had non-Spanish speaking clients in my library notice my helping other clients in Spanish. I had one person tell me: “That’s wonderful that you can speak Spanish and help them in their language.” Another person told me, “They are in our country now; they need to speak our language.” That statement makes me cringe every time I hear it (or when I hear any other statement like it.) To be clear, The United States does not have an official language.
.


My country was originally founded by English citizens fleeing from religious persecution. With the exception of the native tribes that inhabited this land, all of us came to the United States from somewhere. We are a nation of immigrants. Some came here by choice, some came here through enslavement. We all came to this land from somewhere. Today, I find that many Americans are intolerant towards people emigrating here from other nations, speaking different languages, practicing different religions and cultures.

There is one form of intolerance that seems to be global…differences. It appears that we, as a human race, are addicted to differences. We seem to be stuck on labels:
“Liberal” “Conservative” “Christian” “Jewish” “Muslim” “Buddhist” “Republican” “Democrat” “Gay” “Straight” “Transgender” “Bi-sexual” “American” “Arab” “Serbian” “Croatian” “White” “Black” “Latino” “Asian” “Fat” “Thin” “Beautiful” “Ugly”

These labels do not define human beings-they divide us. We make these labels to set us apart from others. We use words like “us” and “them” and “they”, when in reality we are “us”.
.
Tolerance is a concept that must be practiced globally. However, we cannot change the world without first changing ourselves. Tolerance must begin with each one of us, as individuals. In thinking about myself, I find that I am a very tolerant person. There are many things I tolerate. However, there are many things I cannot-and will not tolerate. 
I cannot tolerate unkindness. I will not tolerate disrespect. I cannot tolerate racism. I will not tolerate bigotry. I cannot tolerate xenophobia. I will not tolerate cruelty to animals. I cannot tolerate homophobia. I will not tolerate hate.

When tolerance is practiced within ourselves, we must then apply it in our relationships with others. The end result, the impact of such a practice, will be global. But it can only start, and it must start, with each one of us.

“Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.” 

“We need to promote greater tolerance and understanding among the peoples of the world. Nothing can be more dangerous to our efforts to build peace and development than a world divided along religious, ethnic or cultural lines. In each nation, and among all nations, we must work to promote unity based on our shared humanity.”– Kofi Annan

.

"In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher"-the Dalai Lama

.

"Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for survival." - René Dubos

.

“The Potter books in general are a prolonged argument for tolerance, a prolonged plea for an end to bigotry. “-J.K. Rowling

.

“Tolerance, a term which we sometimes use in place of the words respect, mercy, generosity, or forbearance, is the most essential element of moral systems; it is a very important source of spiritual discipline and a celestial virtue of perfected people.”- M. Fethullah Gülen

.

“We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.” - Karl Popper

.

“...if we are open and we prepare for promoting dialogue and love, and a better understanding of each other, and tolerance and so forth, that's what the world will become, a more tolerant, loving place.”

- Russell Simmons

.

“Through the centuries, the history of peoples is but a lesson in mutual tolerance.” -Emile Zola

.

“Nuremberg taught me that creating a world of tolerance and compassion would be a long and arduous task. And I also learned that if we did not devote ourselves to developing effective world law, the same cruel mentality that made the Holocaust possible might one day destroy the entire human race." -Benjamin Ferencz, Nuremberg prosecutor

 

 







Comments