Setbacks

Have you ever worked for something so hard, tried with all your might to accomplish your goal, to make your dream come true, to then experience a setback? Setbacks, or obstacles or delays in fulfilling our goals and dreams can be very upsetting and challenging.

I recently suffered a setback. A couple of months ago, I began having problems with my home computer. I could not turn the computer on. When I was successful in turning it on, the computer could not run the Windows operating system (the brain of the computer.) Nothing worked as it should; the computer was even running programs I never installed.

After consulting with a person who works on computers, I found that my computer had several Trojan horse viruses on it. The viruses lay dormant on the computer, and one day attacked.

I was sent into an absolute panic. The files for my books of poetry are on that computer. Thankfully I was able to save them to an external memory device. I was also able to save some of my photographs from years past. I was relieved to save those photographs; some of the photos were from trips I have taken, others from family gatherings that will never happen again.

As of right now, my computer will not turn on, will not function. It is an expensive paperweight. I have begun to shop for a new computer. I cannot hope to run my publishing company or publish my books without one.


I have a good friend who also suffered a setback recently. My friend is a successful writer and publisher. He recently built a website for a new creative endeavor. He built the website himself, which took him months. When the website was complete, I asked my friend if he would like me to feature him and his new website here, on this blog. He wrote me back and said that he would like that.

A week or so later I wrote him to see if he was ready to be featured. He wrote me back with upsetting news. His website account had been hacked (or broken into.) Everything he had painstakingly built was destroyed in a matter of minutes. My friend is now building his website again, piece by piece. I will feature him once the website is up and operational again.

Setbacks are bumps in the road to our end goal, detours in our paths. While they can be devastating, we can also look at them as tests of our strength and perseverance, challenges we must complete before we can proceed.

If we believe in ourselves, our goals, if we are steadfast, we can overcome the setbacks that befall us. Do not let any setback divert you from your path. Persevere. Make your dreams come true.


© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

“What may appear to be a temporary setback is only the preparation for a major comeback.”-Angela Bininger

Comments