A Lesson in Patience

It is not always easy, to be a writer. It is often difficult to get the stars to align and for the thoughts to come out.

I put the thoughts on paper. I read what I have written. Does any of it make sense? Is any of it worth sharing?

Sometimes the muse Calliope, the muse of poetry, comes, and creativity abounds. The stars align; the words come together and flow out of me like a waterfall.

Yet other times my muse is elusive. Inspiration hides from me. In those moments, I feel like the myth of Sisyphus, confined to a fate of rolling a massive bolder up a hill, only to have it come hurdling towards the Earth again. The words remain stuck. The stars do not align.

In these moments I have learned not to press the issue. I have learned that Calliope will come, the stars will align, and the words will flow. I must give it time. I must be patient with myself. I must be patient and wait for my muse to arrive, to wait for the stars to align.
 
It can be an act of futility, and undoubtedly a lesson in patience.

Calliope, the muse of poetry

Comments