The Purging

The Purging
(An internal monologue)

Day One
Finally, some time to work on things around the house. I have so much to do. Where should I start? Maybe I will start with this closet. I have to sort through everything in here. This will take forever. I guess I should collapse down these cardboard boxes first, to get them out of the way, and recycle them later. Now, what to do with these things that are still in here? Keep, donate to charity, or throw away. Those seem to be my only options.

Wow, that did not take much time at all. Look at all this empty space. What should I put in here? This might be a nice place to put my Christmas decorations. I only need them once a year, and they would be easy to get to here.

There, that looks great. Everything I wanted to keep fits in this space. But now I have a closet in the other room that is half empty. I wonder, could I clean that closet out as well? What all do I have in there?

Day Three
I cannot believe that project on the closet took more than a day. Well, it is a walk-in closet, about three times the size of my other closets. But, today is a new day. I should get to work on these bags full of paper. I have to sort through all of this, to see what if anything is garbage, what I have to keep, and what I should put through a shredder for security purposes.

I cannot believe it has been three hours already; I’m only about hallway through these papers. But I cannot quit. I have to get this done today. I am determined.

Hey, what is this? I do not believe it. It is my last letter to the Little Prince. Oh and here is his reply to me. Why do I have this? Why did I save this? I need to shred this. The conversation did not mean anything then, it does not mean anything now. I need to shred these papers, delete this from my memory bank, and move on.

Day Five
Wow, the house looks great. I cannot believe I started this project five days ago. I did not mean to work on that many projects around the house. But, when I accomplished one task, it inadvertently lead into another. Now that it is all done, I have boxes full of things to donate to charity, and bags of shredded paper and cardboard to recycle.

It looks amazing in here. I literally have half of the material possessions that I did a week ago. I feel that a massive weight has been lifted. I feel lighter. I feel a sense of order, clarity, calm, and peace. I should have done this purging months ago.

"Peace cannot exist in disorder. When things are out of order, there will be chaos and confusion. 
When there is chaos and confusion, things cannot be clear. When you are clear, you are peaceful."-Iyanla Vanzant
© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved

Comments