A Letter on HJR3

In my state of Indiana the issue of marriage equality is up for a vote. Lawmakers are trying to pass a bill labeled HJR3, which would permanently change our state constitution to define marriage as between one woman and one man only. 
I have written a letter to Indiana lawmakers about my views on marriage equality and equal rights for all. Here then is my letter, "A Letter on HJR3".....

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to you about the HJR3 proposed amendment to the Indiana state constitution which defines marriage as between one man and one woman.

Let me first start by saying that I am a Christian, I am single and I am heterosexual. I was not born in Indiana, but have lived here for 41 years. Indiana is my home.

I understand that many have strong views on homosexuality, some of which are religion based, while others are based in fear. If you are opposed to same sex marriage, I hope you will open your heart and mind to listen to what I have to say.

It must be understood that the issue of marriage equality has nothing to do with religion. The separation of church and state should guarantee this truth. Marriage equality is not a religious issue, but one of civil rights. The people of this state deserve to have their civil rights preserved, regardless of who they love.

Hooisers should have the right to marry the person they love. As I am single, I have not yet met the man I am to marry. When that time comes, I would not want anyone to go into a voting booth and vote on my right to marry the man I love. Likewise, I should not be afforded rights that are denied others just because I was born heterosexual.

In the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution, it gives all Americans the inalienable rights to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote that “all men are created equal.” Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that: “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.”

Marriage equality is not an issue of religion. It is an issue of rights. Basic, human, inalienable, equal, civil rights. Period. End of sentence.

Do not let this issue go to the voters in November. Reject this proposed amendment to the Indiana constitution.
Thank you.

“But here’s the thing about equal rights-they’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights.”
-Rachel Maddow


Comments