Filters

One of the things I love to do in my free time, apart from writing, is taking photographs. I am not a professional photographer, by any means. Still, I love capturing a moment in time.


I love taking photos of things of beauty...


...a new fallen snow….
(snow with a black and white filter)



…a pretty flower...
(orchid flower with a color filter)



…fun special effects…
(photo of my Christmas tree, with a kaleidoscope filter)



…my friend Luna, the moon, in all her glory.
(a filter to enhance the color of the moon)


Along with taking photographs digitally, I love to edit them. I own a tablet computer, and have access to several programs, or applications, to help me edit my photos. Sometimes the picture I took was too dark, too light, had too much color, not enough color, or did not turn out the way I wanted it to. Editing the photo through the use of different effects, or “filters”, enables me to enhance the photo, to capture the moment I wanted to share.

The wonders of digital photography and editing programs means that an image can be manipulated as little, or as much as the viewer wants. Take for example my logo for my publishing company, La Luna Press, designed by my friend Adam Whitaker...

And here is my logo, again, but edited with a digital filter….



While playing with the different filters in the photography program, I began to notice that while I was enhancing the photo, I was also making it something different altogether. The original photo is wonderful, as is the variation. But is it necessary?

Going through this process in editing photos, it made me think about how we do this in our daily lives. We all use filters. What we see is defined by our view on the world. We edit what we see before us. Our perceptions of ourselves, the world around us, is all filtered. Our eyes act as both the camera and the filter. As a result we find things we did not see before, put things in a better light, miss things we should have seen.


Maybe we should look at the world as a photographer would, looking through the viewfinder on her camera when getting ready to take a photograph. Maybe we should look at things from a new perspective. Maybe we should take a step back, pause a moment, and look at the bigger picture. 
 

Perhaps the view in front of us is perfect as it is. Perhaps the photograph does not need a filter after all.
(the same orchid photo as above, no filters)


© Esperanza Habla All Rights Reserved



Comments