My Charge

My Charge
(Or "The Sacred Space")


To be a published author is an amazing thing. It has created new opportunities and experiences I never dreamed of.

When I published my first book, I learned the power within the pages. Readers have written me to tell me what my book has meant to them, how it challenged the way they thought about something, that they learned about a certain topic, that it changed their opinion on an issue, etc.

Of all of the stories shared with me by my readers, I have been most touched by the emotional impact of what I have written. Many people have written to me to tell me how a certain poem made them feel. I have had people say that they could actually feel what I was feeling as I wrote a poem.

To convey a thought or feeling or concept is the goal of the artist. However, to have the ability to change someone’s feelings with your art, to have an effect on someone’s emotions, to make them feel something, that is a true gift.

To have that effect on people is unique and wondrous. To have that effect on those outside your circle of family and friends, to have this effect on people you have never met-and will probably never meet-is profound indeed.

I can recall times in my life when art has had an effect on me. It is now a full circle moment for me, to be able to create such an effect on others. It is a truly humbling feeling. I never dreamed my writing would have such an impact.

As I wrote here last time, I feel a new found responsibility to my readers, to write and share the best of my work. However, in pondering this responsibility, I have discovered I have another responsibility to my readers. In fact, every author does.

When a reader opens the pages of a book, they are simultaneously opening themselves up to a new experience.  Readers are transported to a different space, one that is unique to the art form.  It is a sacred space, a safe, protected environment.  A space where feelings and emotions are supported, where thoughts and ideas can flow freely, without judgment or criticism.

That is my charge as an artist, as a writer. It is my responsibility to maintain this sacred space. It is my duty-both on this blog and within the pages of my books-to keep this a sacred space. That is my responsibility to you, the reader.

In the coming days I will be posting information here regarding the publishing of my second book. It will be available for purchase shortly. Watch this space.

As I continue to publish my books, to share my work with the world, I remain committed to my responsibility to you. 
I pledge to maintain this sacred space on this blog and within the pages of my books.

Thank you for your continued support. I would not be where I am today without you. Thank you for sharing your comments with me about how my work has had an effect on you. I thank you for opening up your hearts and minds to what I have to say. 

I thank you for opening the pages of my book, for entering the sacred space, and for trusting me with your thoughts and feelings. I promise to maintain my charge and keep the sacred space a safe, protected environment. 




Comments